Just got the Liquidator -- some questions

Jul 15, 2010
Hey y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I've been using the BBB method this summer with great success. Today I installed the Liquidator, and I have a few questions:

1. With a CYA of 60, up until now I've been adding bleach to reach the 6.8 ppm target level as per the non-rounded chart. Now that I'm using the LQ with a more continuous flow of chlorine, what level should I be targeting? Can I get away with adjusting so I'm at the min level of 4.4?

2. I'm running my pump 9 hours a day. It's a two speed pump -- I'm running at high speed all 9 hours, then off for the remaining 15. The previous owner had it running at low speed for the other 15, but I've seen no difference with keeping it off. Should I go back to running it continuously now that I have the LQ? Assuming the answer is no, when is the best time to test? Right before the pump is scheduled to go back on?

3. Given the existing plumbing there wasn't enough room to install the LQ within my pool box, so it's not very well shaded. I'd like to do something to help shield it from the UV of direct sunlight. Is there a good weatherproof material I could cover it with to block the UV?

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think I'd come down on the chlorine level. Although my water is cleaner since I got the Liquidator, I attribute that to fewer low chlorine levels rather than the actual method of chlorination.

As to covering the Liquidator, I'd just paint it to match the area it's in, leaving an unpainted stripe down the shady side so you can see the level.

What time of day do you run the pump?

If you run it during the daylight hours and test about an hour after the pump starts, then you could aim for a lower target but I wouldn't go all the way to the minimum. I'd aim for about 1 or 2 ppm above min. If you're running it during the night then you want to target what you're targeting now to account for all the daylight hours that you're not adding FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.