Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello everyone I have a Pebbletech/(plaster) pool with SWG (I just fixed).

Here are the results my son help me get (TA and CYA he did)

free Chlorine .5ppm

Combined chloramines .5ppm

=1 TC

Calcium Hardiness Test - 0

Total Alkalinity 310

CYA 30

PH 8.2

CL 0?

Water is clear, any suggestions of what needs to happen?

Attachments

• 20210526_210925.jpg
    20210526_210925.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The FC test you show only measures up to 5ppm, if it is showing clear I assume you have 0 FC in your pool. For the heck of it I'd do the FAS/DPD test with the speedstir and report back ( you are using the speedstir yeah?)

If your CYA test is accurate it's too low for a SWCG pool, increase your CYA. Low CYA might be why your SWCG isn't keeping up? What do you have your SWCG set to?

If your FC is 0 I'd focus on fixing that before you do anything else or you are going to get algae.

TA and pH are too high, you can start decreasing that with muriatic acid, but going from 310 to ~80 is going to take a while.

Did you measure the calcium in the pool yet? what about salt?

• Love
Reactions: BuffLosolja
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the TF-100 test kit. Great choice. For your results and questions:
- FC is extremely low. Based on your CYA of 30, look at the FC/CYA Levels and you can see what your ideal FC should be. Increase it right away with a little liquid chlorine or regular bleach. Then let the SWG try to maintain that ideal level.
- To lower the TA, wait until the pH is at 8.0 like before and lower the pH with acid to a goal of 7.0. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with the amount to use. Then aerate or let the pH rise back up on its own to 8.0 and repeat. Eventually you'll see the TA come down. Once you get the TA down to about 80 or so it should be good. Be sure to never add chorine and acid at the exact same time in the same location.
- As noted above, use the powder & drops for the FC testing. It's much more accurate and why you got that test kit. Do the FC test as follows: 10 ML water sample with ONE generous scoop of power (should go Barbie Pink). If it doesn't go pink with the powder, you have no chlorine so add some ASAP. If it is pink, add drops and stir until clear. Divide number of drops in half. Example: 12 drops equals an FC of 6.
- Last, update your signature. See mine as an example.

Before you know it, you'll have this process down. You can link test results from the PoolMath APP to your TFP profile so we can see all your test results. Very convenient.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the TF-100 test kit. Great choice. For your results and questions:
- FC is extremely low. Based on your CYA of 30, look at the FC/CYA Levels and you can see what your ideal FC should be. Increase it right away with a little liquid chlorine or regular bleach. Then let the SWG try to maintain that ideal level.
- To lower the TA, wait until the pH is at 8.0 like before and lower the pH with acid to a goal of 7.0. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with the amount to use. Then aerate or let the pH rise back up on its own to 8.0 and repeat. Eventually you'll see the TA come down. Once you get the TA down to about 80 or so it should be good. Be sure to never add chorine and acid at the exact same time in the same location.
- As noted above, use the powder & drops for the FC testing. It's much more accurate and why you got that test kit. Do the FC test as follows: 10 ML water sample with ONE generous scoop of power (should go Barbie Pink). If it doesn't go pink with the powder, you have no chlorine so add some ASAP. If it is pink, add drops and stir until clear. Divide number of drops in half. Example: 12 drops equals an FC of 6.
- Last, update your signature. See mine as an example.

Before you know it, you'll have this process down. You can link test results from the PoolMath APP to your TFP profile so we can see all your test results. Very convenient.
Thanks so much my only problem with poolmath I have no idea my pool size it is free form. I have acid I will grab a 5 gallon bucket. Anything I need to do for my pebbletex health? I really appreciate the help. I will take another test when I get home since today is technically first day SWG was actually working. And increased from 50% - 60%. And hopefully my wife will quit saying Lester's said to shock it lol.

The FC test you show only measures up to 5ppm, if it is showing clear I assume you have 0 FC in your pool. For the **** of it I'd do the FAS/DPD test with the speedstir and report back ( you are using the speedstir yeah?)

If your CYA test is accurate it's too low for a SWCG pool, increase your CYA. Low CYA might be why your SWCG isn't keeping up? What do you have your SWCG set to?

If your FC is 0 I'd focus on fixing that before you do anything else or you are going to get algae.

TA and pH are too high, you can start decreasing that with muriatic acid, but going from 310 to ~80 is going to take a while.

Did you measure the calcium in the pool yet? what about salt?
Thanks so much no didn't use speed stir doing it as soon as I get home retesting everything. I got a 5 gallon bucket in case I need acid. The SWG wasn't working due to my pool temp not working on iAqualink was set to 50 set to 65 this am. Will check and take the above methods. Want to use pool math app still working on getting pool volume figures out.

In reply to a few things you said:
- No need for a 5 gallon bucket. You can measure the muriatic acid in a measuring cup dedicated just for that and slowly pour at a return jet. Look for the liquid muriatic acid (31.5%) sold at places like Home Depot (2-packs).
- Still grab a gallon or two of liquid chorine or regular bleach. You need an FC increase ASAP and teh SWG won't cut it. f you get bleach, no Clorox brands and no scented or splashless.
- The PoolMath APP Effects of Adding Chemicals can help.
- For the pool size, try THIS LINK. It has some basic dimension stuff to help. It doesn't have to be perfect, we can show you why later.

I still have a concern about algae. Is there any green, cloudiness, or does the water look hazy at all?

5/27/2021

• Chlorine drop test
○ Free Chlorine 1 drop x .5 = 0.5 ppm
○ Combined Chloramines 2 drops x .5 = 1
○ TC = 1.5
• Calcium Hardiness Test
○ 5 Drops x 25=25 125 ppm
• Total Alkalinity Test
○ 16 drops x 10=10 160
• CYA Test
○ 30
• Daily CL and PH
○ PH Test 8.2
○ CL between .5 and 1

Okay, so let's do a couple things before you call it a day over there:
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info (settings>profile). See mine as an example. We really need to see that on each post. Include your test kit too.
- List all of your test results as follows:

FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

For now, add liquid chlorine ASAP. Enough to get the FC to 6-8 ppm. The water needs it now (algae). About 10 minutes after you add the chlorine, add muriatic acid to lower the pH from 8.2 to 7.2. Do just those two chemicals for this evening and post a new set of test results tomorrow and we'll see where you're at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Texas Splash My wife picked up a ton of stuff from Lesters, should I use a chlorine tab in skimmer or poor a gallon of Clorox? I will add water to bucket and the muriatic acid tonight. Thanks for signature suggestion I just added it to profile initially greatly appreciate your help will jazz my signature up soon like yours!!

There is no need to mix muriatic acid in a bucket, just pour it in slowly to the pool. For the bleach, as I noted above, Clorox is one brand we recommend not using because they add fabric softeners that can mess up chemistry. Chlorine tab is not going to help. Please try to do the items in post #10 above, if not this evening first thing in the morning. We'll get a new set of test results and go from there. Have a good evening.

Reactions: BuffLosolja
I used Chlorox Concentrate from Costco (sorry just saw response) waited 10 minutes added acid (in bucket with pool water) lol just saw postmaster well. Will take sample in am before jet and SWG kick in. It's currently set at 65% ?ay increase as well until levels in check. Salt 3200 currently as well.

"Buff", before we get too far ahead of ourselves today, I would recommend you do two things please. First, post a full set of test results when you get a chance. We need to start fresh this morning. You (and your son) should be getting the hang of the TF-100, but if you have any questions let us know. Second, go back to the top of this thread starting a post #2 and review everything provided. There seems to be some repetition about some things, and I want to make sure you understand things so that we don't go back & forth over the same issues.

Last thing, be sure to go to the link below. IT lists some very good pool-101 things you need to know. Save it somewhere for your family to read so that you all know the basics. Just a few times and you'll get this. I don't want any of this to be overwhelming, and we certainly don't want you to mix pool store advice with TFP. We'll walk you though it.

Reactions: Cwiggs
5/28/21 11am

82 pool temp
86 outdoor temp
3100 ppm salt
SWG set to 75%

• Chlorine drop test
○ Free Chlorine 1 drop x .5 = 0.5
○ Combined Chloramines 2 drops x .5=1
1.5 TC
• Calcium Hardiness Test 5drops x 25 = 25 125
• Total Alkalinity Test 11drops x 10 =110
• CYA Test 30
• Daily CL and PH
○ 7.2
○ Cl .5
Br 1

Sounds good I have been bookmarking and reviewing will review again. Just making sure clear and safe and keep learning.

Attachments

• 20210528_115113.jpg
    20210528_115113.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
To be sure, are you using the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) for your FC testing? If so, there is no need to use the yellow drops on the left side of the OTO viewer unless you just want to for practice's sake.

How does the water look? Is it crystal clear to the bottom?

Also, your CH is low for a plaster pool. Are you letting the R-0012 reagent mix completely until it goes from a paint lavender color to baby blue? Make sure you go all the way to blue.

I will run another CH test. Yes we are going completely by the laminated sheet. Now as far as deep colors we aren't letting it get there when we see the color we stop. I have confidence in anything that turns clear for testing. And thanks for your continual feedback and help forum. Clarity looks good. May add color chart to testing instructions on my end.

Attachments

• 20210528_162222.jpg
    20210528_162222.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210528_161328.jpg
    20210528_161328.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 18
Will do thanks so much again, looks like testing correct just at 125. Will look to increase levels today.

Attachments

• 1a5323c2-e80d-48f7-8898-de492e7b24c3.gif
    1a5323c2-e80d-48f7-8898-de492e7b24c3.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.