Madison,MS
[h=2]Re: Filter suggestions. How big can I go?[/h]
Ph-7.8
Fc-20
cc-1
ch-200
ta-120
cya-100

My water is crystal clear. The tempature is around 73. The first time I checked cya I got 90 the second I got 100. I checked it inside. Then I read it's better to do outside.​

Your CYA is high enough to inhibit chlorine oxidation. 30-50PPM for CYA is the recommended amount, with 30 working fine for most people. (I don't use CYA at all, for personal reasons). You are probably going to have to do a 50% water change.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo

Geo- Please note this CYA/Chlorine relationship chart-->[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You probably do need to do a little water exchange but how much depends on how you chlorinate your pool. Do you add pucks, powder, liquid chlorine or have a SWG?

Let me know so we can work this out together and make sense of it.

Yippee :flower:

Ok then! For a pool to be using liquid chlorine, you will want your CYA to be about 40ppm (30-50ppm is the suggested range, the more sun you get the higher the cya needs to be)

Using the Poolmath app you're going to need to drain approximately 60% of your water. I would suggest doing a 1/3, then refill and then do another 1/3 just to be on the safe side.
Then after that is done go ahead and retest everything and we'll tell you what is needed.

A little reading: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Pool School - Recommended Levels

Good plan getting that 10% liquid chlorine. Keep an eye open on prices. Walmart often stocks 10% in the pool section and it goes on sale. Otherwise regular old household bleach which is 8.25% is fine to use too. Use the PoolMath app to help tell you how much to use based on your test results.

You can swim safely in your pool now if you want, since your FC is less than you SLAM level.

Sound like a plan??

Yippee :flower:

Your CYA is high enough to inhibit chlorine oxidation. 30-50PPM for CYA is the recommended amount, with 30 working fine for most people. (I don't use CYA at all, for personal reasons). You are probably going to have to do a 50% water change.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo
CYA will not 'inhibit chlorine oxidation'. There is no 'Chlorine Lock'. Proper sanitation FC levels are based on the CYA level, with 7.5% as the minimum FC level required to properly sanitize the pool, and a recommended daily target of 11.5%.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart

If the OP's CYA reading of 100ppm is accurate, a FC level of 12-15ppm will properly maintain a clean pool. The problem arises if the pool should develop algae as the 40% FC target will consume large amounts of chlorine, and will be difficult and impractical to maintain.

IMO, not using CYA in an outdoor pool is wasting chlorine (& money), and making it much more difficult to maintain steady FC levels throughout the day. Also, the active chlorine levels without the buffering of the CYA are much harsher on the pool and equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.