Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Hello!

I bought a house with a pool a few months ago. As suspected, when I tested the CYA, it was off the charts (previous owners relied on a pool service that used tabs... I know, unheard of, right? :p). I did a 50/50 dilution test and found it was around 160. Today I went forward with a complete drain to get that back in order. However, before I drop my hose in the pool and turn my $60 water bill into a $200 one, I wanted to know if you all recommend doing anything while it is empty? I do have a pretty gnarly calcium ring around the water line I was thinking of taking care of (water had a CH of 700ppm before the drain... thanks desert water).

Thanks for any and all tips you may have.

Welcome to TFP! Depending upon your location and ground water tables, an empty pool shell needs to be filled back up with water so as not to be pushed (floated) out of the ground.

Last July, I had the scale deposits under my spillover and water feature, professionally media blasted off. Then I searched online for pool water start up chemicals as that wasn’t included in my contract. That’s how I found TFP and I haven’t looked back since.

Welcome! :wave: By now you are probably back to full of water. At least from this point forward, you can monitor your CSI to keep it in that slightly negative - 0.3 to - 0.1 range. That should help to prevent any further scale from developing. Let us know what else we can discuss to help you out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.