Just drained and refilled - what now?

Oct 10, 2018
AUSTIN
I drained my pool over the weekend due to CH being 950 and CYA at 80. I scrubbed all the waterline tile clean with a pumice stone and it's just about finished refilling.

What do I do now? From reading the forum, looks like I should test the water, adjust PH first, then add liquid chlorine according to the CYA chart. Is this correct?

specs:
12.5k inground plaster pool with spa
pentair quad DE filter, 3 hp intelliflo pump, inline chlorinator

It doesn't really matter what order you add chemicals but for sure you want to get Chlorine in asap to avoid algae. I would concentrate next on CYA levels and pH.

I haven't added chlorine as the pool isn't full yet so i do not have the pump running. Should i add some regardless?

What is the water temp? How much longer until you are full? You are good for a couple days with a new fill but I wouldn't wait much longer if your water is over 60.

What is the water temp? How much longer until you are full? You are good for a couple days with a new fill but I wouldn't wait much longer if your water is over 60.
just checked the temp about 6 inches from the top and it's 69.6 this cool morning. I started filling it up Saturday afternoon and it was about 90 here yesterday.

should i put some liquid chlorine now? If so, how much? I think it should be completely full in about 4 hours.

I would add 1/2 a gallon (64z) of 8.25% liquid chlorine. Mix it with a brush or leaf rake. With no CYA you don't need a lot for your sized pool. Increase chlorine level as your CYA increase according to the below chart.

I would add 1/2 a gallon (64z) of 8.25% liquid chlorine. Mix it with a brush or leaf rake. With no CYA you don't need a lot for your sized pool. Increase chlorine level as your CYA increase according to the below chart.

pool is completely full. Do i just start running the pump, or is there anything i need to do such as priming the pump?

For sure prime for a new refill. Open the lid and fill it all the way along with the skimmers.
awesome, thanks for all the help. Just tested the water and these are my results. Just added 96 oz of 12.5 liquid chlorine, going to add some muriatic acid in a bit to lower pH. What should i do about the CYA?

FC 0.5
CC 1.5
pH 8.4
TA 70
CH 100
CYA 10 (best guess as it went beyond the 20 mark and it was still clear)
CSI 0.19
water temp 70*

awesome, thanks for all the help. Just tested the water and these are my results. Just added 96 oz of 12.5 liquid chlorine, going to add some muriatic acid in a bit to lower pH. What should i do about the CYA?

FC 0.5
CC 1.5
pH 8.4
TA 70
CH 100
CYA 10 (best guess as it went beyond the 20 mark and it was still clear)
CSI 0.19
water temp 70*

Did you do a 100% water change? If so you should not have any CYA in the water. But get some more and add it up to the below charts. You can use PoolMath to see how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you do a 100% water change? If so you should not have any CYA in the water. But get some more and add it up to the below charts. You can use PoolMath to see how much to add.

yes, 100% water change. that explains no CYA.

CYA does not dissolve very well. The "sock" method is how it is done. Take an old athletic sock (no holes!) and fill it with the CYA. Tie it to a pool pole and suspend the sock in front of a return jet. I like to position near the bottom of the sock, so the CYA scoots down as it dissolves. You can have multiple socks on different return jets. It dissolves surprisingly fast (2-6 hours).

I used an old pool cleaner bag in front of my spa spillover (bigger bag, bigger jet).

Use the pool calculator to estimate the amount of CYA.

Also use the pool calculator to estimate the bleach needed. Remember to input the %bleach strength.

The Pool phone App is the BEST. But the old school webpage works for the stuff you need right now. PoolMath

Oh, don't add Hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid yet. The CYA is quite acidic. Make sure you have a bit of bleach on hand for making additions. Also, add about 80% of what the calculator says for CYA, then retest. If your pool dimension/volume is off, you can overshoot. 30 CYA is a good start. Some people in Texas run higher CYA because of the strong sun.

Also, it makes it a lot easier if you populate your Signature with your pool and equipment specs and test kit type. Beats us having to search for it every time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.