Just converted from baquacil to chlorine and have been told I have a chlorine lock

Okay, refill has started. While that happens should I soak my DE cartridge to clean it? If so what is recommended to use. I put a gallon of liquid chlorine in the pool while filling
Check this out:

Edit: Duh.. my first post was for Cartridges filters.. calling it a "DE cartridge" threw me for a loop

Last edited:
OKAY, fill is done. Before I did anything, other than running the pump for 30 minutes, here are my test results:
FC .5
CC 0
TC .5
CH 400
TA 140
CYA 60 (yeah, was 110 before)
PH 7.5

I put a gallon of liquid 10% chlorine in the pool then tested chlorine 60 minutes later:
FC 5
CC 0 (?)
TC 5

Any danger signs here? I'm going to run my pump all night and tomorrow.

This weekend, going to be very warm here. 94 on Saturday and up to 98 on Sunday. Phew. Only 70s out now.

Just need some guidance. Thank you.

OKAY, fill is done. Before I did anything, other than running the pump for 30 minutes, here are my test results:
FC .5
CC 0
TC .5
CH 400
TA 140
CYA 60 (yeah, was 110 before)
PH 7.5

I put a gallon of liquid 10% chlorine in the pool then tested chlorine 60 minutes later:
FC 5
CC 0 (?)
TC 5

Any danger signs here? I'm going to run my pump all night and tomorrow.

This weekend, going to be very warm here. 94 on Saturday and up to 98 on Sunday. Phew. Only 70s out now.

Just need some guidance. Thank you.
Numbers look decent. CYA is still a bit high but not unmanageable. FC is low. With a CYA of 60 5ppm is the minimum. Target is 7-9ppm.

Personally, knowing that 5ppm FC is the bare minimum you want to have with CYA of 40, I'd put in another 1-2ppm of FC just because we know the sun *will always* take its tax and you won't want the water to go below 5 at any time.

Strive to keep your FC around 6-7 and you'll be safe.

Remember that in a pool your size (aprox 22k) :
28 ounces (just shy of 1 quart) of 10% Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine will give you 1ppm FC.
46 ounces of 6% plain bleach will give you 1ppm FC
23 ounces of 12% Liquid Shock will give you 1ppm FC

Follow the CYA/FC chart -->. FC/CYA Levels

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I can't seem to find a way on the pool math app to figure out how much liquid chlorine to add in order to get to 7-9 ppm. Do I need to add values somewhere first? I don't have premium access and I think I already added some tests an hour ago before my chlorine went to .5. . Do I need to worry about the fact that I have 0 CC?

Refreshing my memory you preformed a Baqua conversion using pool stores guides correct? If so let’s totally rule out some extra issues even though numbers look good. Can you preform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight?
Yes, we did convert that way. I can run that test but can't find the test directions at Extended Test Kit Directions – Trouble Free Pool. Clicking on the extended test link just brings me back to that page. Not sure what I am using to do that test with. I have the T-100 kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember that in a pool your size (aprox 22k) :
28 ounces (just shy of 1 quart) of 10% Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine will give you 1ppm FC.
46 ounces of 6% plain bleach will give you 1ppm FC
23 ounces of 12% Liquid Shock will give you 1ppm FC

Follow the CYA/FC chart -->. FC/CYA Levels

Maddie :flower:
Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I can't seem to find a way on the pool math app to figure out how much liquid chlorine to add in order to get to 7-9 ppm. Do I need to add values somewhere first? I don't have premium access and I think I already added some tests an hour ago before my chlorine went to .5. . Do I need to worry about the fact that I have 0 CC?

Maddie gave you the math to figure it out, but the premium sub is only like $7 per year and totally worth it. :)

Reactions: flyingv
Do I need to worry about the fact that I have 0 CC?
Meant to add, 0CC is a good thing. 0.5 or less is what you want. Accumulation of CC means something is excessively “using” your FC and there’s not enough FC left to oxidize the byproducts. Typically means algae.

Did the test. This AM no loss in FC. When I went to bed it was FC level of 3.5 which was less than when I first did the test after filling and adding a gallon of the chlorine (FC was 5). BUT, it didn't go down overnight which is good. I am now going to put in the required amount to get it to 7-9, based on the chart (CYA is 60).

Okay, new and somewhat bad test results this AM.
FC = 1
CC = 0
CYA = 60/65
PH = 7.5
water temp 68

Had a good amount of rain yesterday and in the AM I put in another gallon of chlorine as I was at around FC of 3.5

Advice? Putting liquid chlorine in it now to get going and keep it from bloomin'

What I do:
So if your CYA is 60, your target FC is 7-9 and minimum is 5. So every night, I test and add enough to get back up to 9. Then, by the end of the next day you’re probably down to between 5 and 7. But still above the minimum. Rinse and repeat.

In time you’ll get a sense for how much you’re adding every day, and if you have a lazy night where testing doesn’t work out, you’ll have an idea how much much chlorine to just dump in the pool until you recheck the next day.

Your water is safe to swim in up to your SLAM level of 24, so you’re not going to add “too much” chlorine unless you start dumping in multiple jugs. :)

What I do:
So if your CYA is 60, your target FC is 7-9 and minimum is 5. So every night, I test and add enough to get back up to 9. Then, by the end of the next day you’re probably down to between 5 and 7. But still above the minimum. Rinse and repeat.

In time you’ll get a sense for how much you’re adding every day, and if you have a lazy night where testing doesn’t work out, you’ll have an idea how much much chlorine to just dump in the pool until you recheck the next day.

Your water is safe to swim in up to your SLAM level of 24, so you’re not going to add “too much” chlorine unless you start dumping in multiple jugs. :)
getting a little concerned as I tested just now and FC back to 1. It was a very hot day here today, so hopefully that caused it. I used pool math to determine how much to put in to get to 9 FC and did that (about 210 ounces). I'll test now to see what it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.