Junction Box Leak

F30

May 13, 2020
NY
Hey there. Ive been reading through the forum but couldn't find an answer to my issue. In-ground pool junction box for the lights has a heavy leak. The box is 4 inches above the ground and in the same place for the last ten years. This year it decides to leak. Not sure how considering the water level is way below the box. What coud be causing the water to be pushed though? i noticed the boxes are rusted out and need to be replaced but that wouldn't cause the water to pour out, would it?

You suspect pool water is coming through the light conduit to the junction box? Perhaps somehow a siphon got started. You will need to break the siphon. Turn off the circuit breaker(s) supplying that junction box! Open the box. Is water still coming out of the conduit? If so, try blowing it back down into the conduit with a shop vac or similar. All you need is to get the water back to below-ground level and hopefully it will stop.

Welcome to TFP.

Is the junction box at least 8 inches above the maximum water level?

Does the box have two conduits attached? Is one of them from your equipment pad or switchboard and is it mounted higher than the jbox? Just a thought that the water maybe entering the supply side conduit. Is only one conduit in the jbox full of water? Just an idea i had. A picture of the setup might.

Can you please post a photo of the junction box and the conduit riser where the light wires come up from the ground? Very weird this didn't happen for 10 years but I bet the photo's will help "illuminate" the cause for our experts. (sorry couldn't help the pun).

Chris

thanks for the quick replies. im a super novice when it comes to pools. Ive attached a few pic. There are two boxes, im assuming one for each light in the pool. they are both leaking are you can see form the pics, one more than the other. I marked the water level around 8pm and its down about an inch in 12 hours. They are both a few inches above the ground which makes it even higher than the waterline, even when filled (if i had to guess, i would say its 6-8inches). The lights have never worked consistently so Ive been thinking that maybe this issue has always been there and i never knew it. Maybe the boxes were so tightly sealed that water never came out and now, they rusted through and started leaking.

Attachments

• IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 21
WAG is you have a crack int he conduit allowing ground water to drain up through the conduit.

Grab a water sample coming out of the pipe and test it for CYA. If it has CYA in it then it is coming from your pool. If no CYA then it is ground water. While you are at it see how the rest of the water chemistry compares with your pool.

Ground water was considered also but ruled out since the property is on a slope and the water just passes through. I have someone scheduled to come by and repair the light niches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.