July and have yet to swim!

Now it's a matter of "Maintaining" the FC level. In the early part of the SLAM Process, chlorine gets used quicker as it is fighting more organic material. Eventually that large drop should slow down. In the meantime, test 2-3 times a day or as much as needed to gain confidence the FC is beginning to hold based on your chlorine additions. Follow the SLAM page and make sure you brush often and inspect any areas of your pool that could hide algae.

Reactions: Jaylakay
Also, you will get the most killing power out of your chlorine at night so dose it appropriately so it can kill the algae and bacteria without competing with the sun.

Now it's a matter of "Maintaining" the FC level. In the early part of the SLAM Process, chlorine gets used quicker as it is fighting more organic material. Eventually that large drop should slow down. In the meantime, test 2-3 times a day or as much as needed to gain confidence the FC is beginning to hold based on your chlorine additions. Follow the SLAM page and make sure you brush often and inspect any areas of your pool that could hide algae.
This is extremely reassuring to know the dropping numbers are part of the process. I thought I was messing something up because I couldn't keep my numbers up!
Should I be vacuuming to waste or is it ok to let my cartridge filter do the work? Should I be hosing my filter down regularly during the SLAM process?

Also, you will get the most killing power out of your chlorine at night so dose it appropriately so it can kill the algae and bacteria without competing with the sun.
I waited until after 9pm to do the last water test and add bleach thanks to your post ?
Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I didn't notice much difference in color today so I'm hoping maybe it'll be a lighter shade of green tomorrow.

Normally with a cartridge filter you cannot vac to waste. And once the algae is dead, it is just as well to vac to filter.

When your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure, clean the filters.

Normally with a cartridge filter you cannot vac to waste. And once the algae is dead, it is just as well to vac to filter.

When your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure, clean the filters.
Oh ok, I see. I thought vacuuming to waste with a cartridge filter meant vacuuming with it not flowing back into the pool but out through a waste hose. I did figure out through my wanderings of the internet that backwashing is not done with a cartridge filter. That was an aha moment for me.
Who let me have a pool? ?

Is your equipment pad plumbing set up so you can vacuum to waste? That is not normal for a cartridge filter system as you do not have a multiport valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is your equipment pad plumbing set up so you can vacuum to waste? That is not normal for a cartridge filter system as you do not have a multiport valve.
I have valves for shut off on both the outgoing hose and inlet hose. I turn off the inlet valve and open the cap on the back of my filter housing. That way the water flows out instead of back in. I have attached pictures of my set up. I close the valve on the right and open the hole on the back with the black screw cap.

I'll create a separate post with pictures of the murkiness that led me to vacuuming to waste. I am dealing with that currently so I have pictures from about 20 minutes ago.

Attachments

• 20190715_155847.jpg
    20190715_155847.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 30
I've attached a surface picture, a look down into the water that shows lots of organic floaty stuff, and a picture of the water flowing back in looking cloudy and dirty. The water flowing in filthy is what led me to vacuum to waste prior to my original post here.
It's at 12ppm FC at the moment but I'm still losing rapidly and I'm certain I'll be under 4 by the time i check this evening. I don't think it's slowing down yet. I think I'm attempting to clean a swamp.
I'm super frustrated.

Attachments

• 20190715_155817.jpg
    20190715_155817.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190715_160204.jpg
    20190715_160204.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190715_160223.jpg
    20190715_160223.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 28
Also when did you add the CYA? I would test it again if it’s been more than 48 hours. Just want to be sure you are holding the right FC levels.

I’m not familiar with that vacuum so I can’t answer that one. >.>

Looks like a suction-side vacuum. I’d let it run so long as you keep an eye on the baskets / filters the water goes through and clean often as they get clogged. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.