Job quality

welbus

Sep 4, 2019
idaho
I have recently had a new pool installed. The builder done a great job in most areas of construction, but when they put self leveling Sikaflex in the joints, they done what I consider a poor job. I've attached a few pics. He's now informed me that the sealing of the deck joints was not included and is trying to charge me almost $1,000 more for this poor job. What should I do?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
I agree it's not perfect. But your concrete texture also doesn't have smooth edges. Self-leveling doesn't mean perfectly level in practice. From an "included" standpoint, if it wasn't stated as being included, then you can assume it wasn't. Though he certainly should have told you that before doing it. In my contract, it states it's not. But if it wasn't stated, the result would be the same. Mine looks a bit better than yours.

You should do what makes you happy. I'd say let him know you are dissatisfied with the quality and his approach and go from there. In the end, you need to pay for a job done to an average level. You can try to get better out of him, but that may not be reality. We can't expect everyone to be an artist (though many do expect it).

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
If he's charging you an extra $1000 for something that should have been included in the original total, then I'd tell him you are extremely unhappy with the job and he should pull it out and do better.

jimmythegreek

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Tell him you will gladly pay the grand if he does a thousand dollar install. The product is approx 20 bucks a tube so however many tubes plus 2 to 3 man hours is the value. I cant see how big your pool deck is but that's a rush job to me. The finish details are what matters to most people