Jet pressure after adding heat pump.

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
I had a new 133K Raypak heat pump installed last week. When I first started using it I begin getting a high-pressure error when the spa would get hot and the unit would shut itself down. It was also doing a few other odd things so I had a service tech come out to look at it. As it turned out, they had installed the three-way valve leading into the heat pump backwards and it was sending very little water into the heater. The guy turned it around the right way and it is now heating the pool and spa more than twice as fast, which is awesome. However, he advised me to keep the valve only partway open so it doesn't fully flow all of the water into the heat pump. As a result my water pressure to the pool and spa is significantly reduced. Does it seem right that I would not flow more of the water into the heat pump? Before he adjusted the valves, I had amazing pressure coming out of all of the Jets. Now it seems extremely choked off. He seemed pretty convinced that it is fine and I should not open the valve any further. He even mentioned blowing out the inside of the heater if I sent too much water through. It all just seems a little strange to me, so I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks

Chad

So you have a three way valve that acts as a bypass. You can either bypass all the way from going thru the unit or you can force all or some thru the heater. Personally I would have ALL the water go thru the unit. Not sure why they would tell you to bypass some of the water. Not everyone has a bypass on their units.

I wouldn't think that it being open as little as it is would cause a the situation you are seeing. I would just close it so all the water flows thru the heater. There is no reason that I am aware of as to why the unit can't handle full water flow thru it.

According to the manual these units minimum gpm is 30, and the maximum is 80gpm. So depending on the pump size you will either use this bypass or it wouldn't be needed.The way this valve is setup as your opening the bypass your closing the inlet from the filter. The valve diverter should be on the other side of valve

Thanks all. I adjusted the valve to be slightly closed but on the opposite side. All makes sense now why it wasn't operating to optimal performance. So psyched now. Spa gains 20 degrees per hour. Impressive, to me, for an electric heat pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.