Jandy Tri-Sensor Rusting?

mcinlb

Aug 24, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Have been having some issues with our PL1400 reading the right salinity over the past couple of months. I removed the flow sensor and discovered some rust on the middle sensor. I cleaned this all off and now about a month later, I am getting the 172 181 General Fault.

I removed the sensor and found it rusted again. (1st photo)

I cleaned it off and re-installed, but noticed what looked like a couple of pin holes in the surface near these metal sensors and wasn't sure if they should be there. (2nd photo)

Not sure why I am getting rust on sensor? Internal leak?

Put the cleaned up sensor back in and am getting the general fault error.

In any event.. I am assuming it is dead and have ordered a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_9998.jpg
    IMG_9998.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The center prong is a common point of failure of the cells.

From Jandy AquaPure SWG - Further Reading

Replace the Power Cord When you Replace the Cell
When replacing the cell, it's important to replace the power cord so that the connections are clean and the resistance is minimized.

The prongs are sealed by O-rings and a compression plate held down by two screws. The problem is that the O-rings can leak, which creates a corrosive mix of water, salt, hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. This corrosion increases the resistance of the connection and generates a lot of heat due to the high current of 6 to 8 amps.

The center prong is the most common point of failure. You can usually see evidence of a leak when you know to look for it.

Note that the center prong is on the cell where the power cord connects to the cell.

This issue is with the trisensor, which is a separate part that installs in the cell.

How old are the cell and trisensor?

It's usually cheaper to buy the Aquapure 1400 cell kit that comes with the cell, trisensor and power cord vs. buying the parts separately.

If the cell is old, just get the PLC1400 kit.

Note that the center prong is on the cell where the power cord connects to the cell.

This issue is with the trisensor, which is a separate part that installs in the cell.

How old are the cell and trisensor?

It's usually cheaper to buy the Aquapure 1400 cell kit that comes with the cell, trisensor and power cord vs. buying the parts separately.

If the cell is old, just get the PLC1400 kit.
Thanks for the note. It looks like the salt generator was manufactured in 2016 (H16G). I checked the prongs for the power cord and the prongs look perfect with no corrosion or damage.

The flow sensor Serial # is K13GB12XX. - I'm guessing this was made in 2013?

The unit is oversized for the pool we have and only runs about 20-30% cycle duty to properly chlorinate our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.