Jandy pump got LOUD over night

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I have a Jandy ProSeries VS E pump. It has been in service for 1 year 4 months, always whisper quiet, I mean almost can’t hear it, I run it at 1300 RPM. Walked out today and I am like WTH, it’s like 5 times louder, and it sounds like it’s coming from the backend (motor) some vibrations when I put my hand on the case. I am guessing motor bearings are going out? Any other suggestions? I will have to call Jandy on Monday.

Ok, there are three things that I can think of that might be the cause.

One is bearings. One is something in the back fan and the third is a failed drive/motor.

Video should help diagnose.

Does the motor ramp up to full speed?

Well Jandy said probably the motor, gave me a couple warranty service people to call. One of the the local guys, sent him the video, he agrees motor or bearing is going out. Okay I ask about the repair he said the will just disconnect the entire unit from electrical and plumbing as it easier to work on it. I thought they could just pull the motor off the pump side? Well I am not a pro, so I guess they can hook all the plumbing connections back together. I was just thinking about potential leaks, but then I worry a lot. I am a bit concerned the motor is going out 16 months in operation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Variable speed pumps are somewhat prone to failure due to the drive electronics.

Looking at the video again, if the pump speed was set fairly high, then I think that the drive failed.

The drives are susceptible to electrical surges and irregularities. A surge suppression device can help protect the drive.

The pump has unions to make it easy to remove and reinstall. However, they should be able to bring out a warranty motor and drive assembly and replace it on site.

The pump is running at 1300 rpm in that video at 2000+ its screaming. The sound is absolutely coming from the motor, very loud on that flat panel on the rear. I was told the Drive has no moving parts? It the motor? I will call Jandy again. Thanks for tip on surge protection. Will have to look into that.

Update, so Jandy replaced the motor, all worked fine then 3days in I hear this slight ticking sound?? So they send the tech out with a new motor/drive. Replaced the new one, all quite, well for a couple days and now getting the ticking again. They checked the wet side of the pump and impeller, no issue. Very odd.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.