Jandy pump got LOUD over night

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Fullerton, CA
So I have a Jandy ProSeries VS E pump. It has been in service for 1 year 4 months, always whisper quiet, I mean almost can’t hear it, I run it at 1300 RPM. Walked out today and I am like WTH, it’s like 5 times louder, and it sounds like it’s coming from the backend (motor) some vibrations when I put my hand on the case. I am guessing motor bearings are going out? Any other suggestions? I will have to call Jandy on Monday.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Ok, there are three things that I can think of that might be the cause.

One is bearings. One is something in the back fan and the third is a failed drive/motor.

Video should help diagnose.

Does the motor ramp up to full speed?

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Fullerton, CA
Well Jandy said probably the motor, gave me a couple warranty service people to call. One of the the local guys, sent him the video, he agrees motor or bearing is going out. Okay I ask about the repair he said the will just disconnect the entire unit from electrical and plumbing as it easier to work on it. I thought they could just pull the motor off the pump side? Well I am not a pro, so I guess they can hook all the plumbing connections back together. I was just thinking about potential leaks, but then I worry a lot. I am a bit concerned the motor is going out 16 months in operation.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Variable speed pumps are somewhat prone to failure due to the drive electronics.

Looking at the video again, if the pump speed was set fairly high, then I think that the drive failed.

The drives are susceptible to electrical surges and irregularities. A surge suppression device can help protect the drive.

The pump has unions to make it easy to remove and reinstall. However, they should be able to bring out a warranty motor and drive assembly and replace it on site.

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Fullerton, CA
The pump is running at 1300 rpm in that video at 2000+ its screaming. The sound is absolutely coming from the motor, very loud on that flat panel on the rear. I was told the Drive has no moving parts? It the motor? I will call Jandy again. Thanks for tip on surge protection. Will have to look into that.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I'm not sure about all of the ways that the motor can fail. It might be bearings.

In any case, it sounds like they are going take care of it.

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Fullerton, CA
Update, so Jandy replaced the motor, all worked fine then 3days in I hear this slight ticking sound?? So they send the tech out with a new motor/drive. Replaced the new one, all quite, well for a couple days and now getting the ticking again. They checked the wet side of the pump and impeller, no issue. Very odd.