Jandy Neverlube vs. single/double union valves

eyedoc_01

May 30, 2020
Saint Louis MO
Hi all,

Going to hard pipe this fall after closing down the pool. I am confused about the best setup with valves and unions. I have a straightforward setup with a pump, sand filter, and SWG.

From what I gather, I should put unions between pool and pump, between pump and filter, and between filter and SWG. I do take the SWG, filter valve, and pump inside for the winter, and that should make that task easy. I am planning on keeping the flexible hose out to where the backwash line drains.

With this setup, do I also need valves, and if so, for what purpose?

If I do need valves, should I get separate unions and valves, or the Jandy union valves? And if the union valves, single or double? Help!!!!

For reference: Pool Valves | Jandy

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Show us pics of your current equipment setup and areas where you are thinking of valves.

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
With an AGP best you post a picture of your current setup. For unions, you can have a union on each side of the pump and on each side of the SWCG. This allows for easy removal.

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a union with an incorporated valve that works smoothly under my skimmer- i plan on replacing the two cheepo ball valves at each return with these as well when i hard plumb. They’re not as fancy as the jandy ones but they work well.
between the pump & filter i just put a union although I don’t take that apart at closing (it’s just to make equipment change out easier). At closing i just leave the one under the skimmer open & remove the bottom pipe & attached hose- I currently remove the ones from the returns & put screw in plugs.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
With your setup I think 4 High temp unions would work perfect for your setup.. Just make sure the pump and return side all take 1.5 inch threads... :)

No need for Jandy Valves unless you wanted to split your return and have 2 going into the pool... Or add a suction side vacuum hose into the suction side...