Jandy NeverLube Valve

Car54

May 19, 2020
Tampa
Hello all - love this forum - you guys are awesome!

Just installed Jandy valves on my vacuum side about a month ago. I keep finding that they're getting full of grit when you turn them. I've opened them up once before and cleaned them out and they're starting to show some wear on the seals. Why's this happening and how can I stop it? TIA!

Last edited:
To keep larger particles from reaching your valves and pump, try using skimmer socks. Some use hairnets and purchase them in bulk from Amazon. Search the forum on them.

Experiment on the rpm levels.

Do you have an automation system? Do you have to run the spa spillover all the time?

Continuous use of a spa spillover drives your pH up. Programming it to run for 30 minutes or so twice a day should be sufficient to keep it chlorinated.
And skimming is best using the returns, not the spillover.

Every pool is different, but normally you can find a rpm that skims well and stay at that.

Every pool is different, but normally you can find a rpm that skims well and stay at that.

Are you saying find the RPM that the skimmer pulls and holds dirt down and never go below that RPM?

Back to original topic for a sec - how am I getting grit in the skimmer valve? This should be sinking to the bottom. Does this mean I have a leak? I'm getting some bubbles when the pump is full speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not quite sure what you mean in 'holds dirt down'. Find the pump rpm that skims the floating debris from the pool surface. That would be the minimum rpm to run the pump.

By grit if you mean dirt - then you need to investigate. A suction side leak (bubbles) usually is from the pump basket lid gasket or some other seal on the suction side. Dirt getting into the suction side is concerning.

I think I know why I'm getting grit on these valves. When the pump is shut off, water from the straining basket flows backwards through the valves and I'm thinking it's getting caught on the partially opened valves and closed valves...when the valves are reopened, the grit is resting on the plate and gets pulled into the housing. I followed the in and out...but perhaps in should be on the top.

You should not get backflow like that. You most likely have a suction side air leak and air is gathering in your filter (what type of filter do you have? Please add to signature) and when the pump turns off the air expands and forces water back through the pump.

If your equipment is below water line, how do you get flow back towards the pool when the pump turns off?

I imagine some of the plaster material got in your suction lines? You might try skimmer socks/hair nets over your skimmer basket to see if that catches anything.

Some closure on this. Had Red Rhino out and they found my leak on the main drain line right below the deck surface. I have a pavers on dirt so this explains the small pebbles and the back flowing of water...and the draining down. I'm having the pool remodel company fix the plumbing and the paver company re-lay the pavers.5345ED6C-7CA9-4D82-941B-2675FF45BCA3.jpeg

Attachments

• B377536D-5D74-492D-8D6B-9676E2090EBD.jpeg
    B377536D-5D74-492D-8D6B-9676E2090EBD.jpeg
    756.9 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.