Jandy LXi NG heater "Fault Check Ign Control" urgent pls

pmuvb

May 1, 2020
NC
I have Jandy LXi NG heater that's just stopped working and giving this message "Fault Check Ign Control".
I called the local pool company and they are saying this heater is not produced anymore and if they
cannot fix it they will replace it. It did not sound like they were going to try very hard to fix it.

I did find few threads here with the same issue but it looks very time consuming for a DIYer and I am already
exhausted with house renovation, I'd really prefer someone else to fix it. Apparently, there is no clear cut fix
for this breakdown as this error message can be caused by multiple reasons; the troubleshooting guide calls for
"professional required" in many places.

The pool company is coming tomorrow, Monday, 2 PM, hence the urgency.

My question is, does the faulty ignition really warrants the whole heater replacement, or more appropriately,
which broken part(s) would warrant the whole heater replacement?

On the other hand, the heater is 10 y.o., should I just go ahead and replace it?

What is the fair price for a heater replacement of the same size? I see prices for the unit is ~$2K, do not know about the labor.

If I replace it, should I stay with Jandy, or there are better heaters?

TY

Last edited:
Are you the original owner? Has the heater required any repair previously? Has the heater been cleaned and maintained over its life? Many companies (not all) will try to sell you a new heater when the problem can be solved by either a cleaning of some components or replacement of a part. Best advice if you do not want to attempt DIY is to closely observe the technician as they are troubleshooting and ask questions about everything being done and possibly take notes. Ask about what the sequence of operation is for the heater to start and run. Ask where in this sequence of operation is the error is occurring. As an example: If the burners are not lighting, is it because the fan pressure switch is not closing or because the ignitor has either failed or is not being powered or because the burners or orifices are obstructed with spider webs. The more information that you know, the better chance to know if you are "being taken for a ride". If you have all of this information you can get a second opinion to see if the diagnoses concur and also have a second quote for replacement if it is really needed. Also the more information that you have, the better forum members will be able to aid you.

I am not the original owner, I bought it about a year ago and started using earlier this year. Judging by the house, the heater was not maintained.

I'll take time from work tomorrow to watch the tech working.

Have you checked simple things like the igniter? You can troubleshoot on your own and if it is something simple repair it yourself.

Technician came, opened the heater and started it, waited, pushed the on/off button few times, sniffed it, it did smell as something burning so he said "it's old and it's not supposed to do that" and he was not going to fix it but he can replace it.

I'll take a look myself tonight.

Last edited:
WOW!!! After more than 40 years I didn't know that "sniffing" without using test instruments was a valid way of troubleshooting a system! Have been getting some BSODs on my PC. Maybe I should "sniff" it. Sounds like they just want to sell you a new heater. No mention of WHY it is doing something it isn't supposed to do? No mention of exactly how "old" it is? Most parts such as the gas valve " if it hasn't been replaced " have a 4 digit date code on them such as 0915, meaning made in September 2015. I will be happy to try to assist you if you want to try yourself, but at a minimum you will need at least a basic multimeter and possibly more.

Thanks for replies, I shelled out and replaced it earlier this year with Rheem P-M406A-EN-C. Jandy was 11 years old and I bought a house with pool, judging by the
condition of the house and all, the heater hadn't been maintained hence my decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.