Jandy JXI heater issues

Pconnelly

Jun 2, 2021
GTA
Moved from here.
I have a JXI that is 1.5 years old and is now not igniting. I sometimes hear it fire up and I can feel the heat from the blower for a few moments and then it turns off.

Other times, it does not ignite as shown in this Video here

The only error I have seen it display is "fault check IGN"
I have the exact same problem "fault check IGN" and my Jandy JXI heater is 2.5 years old. I tried a few times to put the heater on, and now it trips all the breakers and the whole pool shuts down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same problem "fault check IGN" and my Jandy JXI heater is 2.5 years old. I tried a few times to put the heater on, and now it trips all the breakers and the whole pool shuts down.
Wow, can you give us a little more to go on?
  • What else did you notice when the problem went from a "fault check IGN" to a trip situation?
  • Does the blower start or try to start?
  • Any unusual noises?
  • Does the unit trip immediately or after it goes through part of the start sequence?
  • Any leakage indicated from the fire box?
Somewhere you have a dead short in the HV system that's causing the trip. A bad sensor normally wouldn't do this since they're in a 24v circuit that protected with a very low amp fuse. I think you have a 110 or 220 v short that should be pretty easy to diagnose and repair. Could be corrosion or rodent damage to a hot wire, or frozen motor, or blockage from something sucked into the blower intake, primary wiring in the transformer, or a few other items. Doesn't sound related to your original "fault check IGN" error.

Chris

Thanks Chris for getting back to me
  • What else did you notice when the problem went from a "fault check IGN" to a trip situation?
  • Does the blower start or try to start? The first few times I tried starting the heater, you can hear the unit power up, the fan would blow, you can smell a bit of gas and then you can hear a click click like it was trying to start, then then it would shut down. Then after a few times trying it would now shut the power off to the whole pool where I would have to go to the main circuit breaker and reset the pool. I just went out and tried again to make sure I was familiar. The unit power on when I turned the heater on and it shut the whole pool down.
  • Any unusual noises? Nothing that I noticed
  • Does the unit trip immediately or after it goes through part of the start sequence? the first 3-4 times i tried it went through the sequence but now it trips right away once I turn the heater on, roughly 30 seconds
  • Any leakage indicated from the fire box? Not sure what this is? (sorry)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.