Jandy Energy Filter

Oct 27, 2014
Heartland
Hello all! I am new to the fourm and pools but starting to catch on thanks to the many great tips and write ups on here from others with pool experince. I recently just bought a home with a 10 year old pool. My guess it it is around 25,000 gal. It is a pool/spa. The issue I am having is there is a jandy filter on the discharge side to the pool that runs a Polaris vacuum. I noticed the filter was quiet dirty the other day and cleaned it and had a hard time getting it back on and to seal. I notice the other day the filter was clogged again and had the same issue getting it to stop leaking. Well I grab my channel locks and tighten it a hair to tight and broke the housing in which the filter screws into. I know need to replace it but the pipping situation at my pump is rather tight. I have also noticed there is a 2 way valve in front of the filter that I have no ideal what its purpose is? There is a 3 way automated valve directly behind it so I would never understand why I would need to use the manual 2 way valve. Do you think I could just cut out the 2 way valve and repipe the filter in the middle so it is positioned better and I could also install couplings on both sides for future replacement? Thanks for any help!

the plumbing is bad who ever plumb a 3 way automatic valve direct after a pump that is a joke you have no reason for that two way valve unless for some reason the automatic valve isn't working in which case you can convert it to a Manuel valve looks like you have just enough room for a 1 1/2 cupeling after the automatic valve and after the 90 coming from the ground so you should be fine if you have anymore plumbing questions feel free to ask

SacPoolPro thank you for the feedback and the automated valve has me scratching my head. There are 3 total automated valves on the system one for the spa/pool return I believe and 1 on the discharge for the pool/spa. There are #1 and #2 on the switches for the valves and each one is set to the opposite. However I found the 3 way right after the pump was in the half way position and in the off position on the switch. It appears that is the only way to get water to flow over the spa/waterfall and keep water going to the pool polaris pump. Is that a normal set up. It kind of sucks because when ever I go to spa mode i have to manually flip the switch and isolate the pool completely to keep water from going to it. Also vice versa when I go back to pool mode I have to drive the valve back to the halfway position to keep water going through the filter and to the pool vacuum??

I suspect that the problem is that the automated valve leading to the Jandy Energy Filter is not automating correctly. The control system should be closing off the line to the pool cleaner when you go into spa mode automatically. It may be that all you need to do is set the switch on the actuator to the correct position and it will start working. It is also possible that the automation system has lost it's programming and needs to be re-programmed.

Your overall setup is not all that common, but that is a known, and reasonable, setup, at least if the automation system is programmed correctly. The manual valve is there so you can turn off the water going to the Jandy Energy Filter manually while cleaning the filter or for maintenance. Without the manual valve you risk the automation system turn that line on while you have the filter open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.