Jandy EI Aquapure 35 leaking?

juggy

Aug 23, 2015
davie/florida
I cleaned out my cell for the first time yesterday when the filter was off (it had some salt buildup on the plates), came back today and the pool water level was below the basket filter line and all the water was rushing out of the SWG cell of the Jandy Aquapure. When I took the cell unit apart I notice the seal is not exactly flush with the pipe, when I look at some install videos I notice the top & bottom connection doesn't need to be touching so Im wondering why the leak? Is there a seal that's supposed to be included to make the connection water proof? Do I have the cell the wrong way? When I watch install videos there does seem to be about a centimeter of space between the top and bottom part of the pipe connectors. Any experienced people have any ideas?

Sounds like a loose, damaged, or missing o-ring on the unions. The unions only have to be hand-tight, but the o-rings always need to be lubed and must be compressed between the sealing surfaces in order to hold water. I would take it all apart and inspect the o-rings for damage (they do become cracked and dried with age) and I would look at the mating surfaces, i.e., the o-ring groove and receiving flange, to make sure that there is no damage to either that would cause a leak. Reinstall the rings with lube and hand-tighten in place. Then run the pump and inspect the cell for leaks.

On some occasions, cell bodies have been known to crack and leak. In that case, the only option is to replace the cell.

I've done what you ask, took it apart and reseated it. I noticed that when I turned it on it was flowing a lot out of the Oring section and it was not evenly seated. When I redid it I reseated it better but there still does seem to be a bit of unevenness on the seating when screwing it back on and it is still leaking a bit. I think I'm going to need to try and reseat it again and somehow have it seat perfectly. My question.. hand tighten.. how tight? I don't want to break it but I don't want it to keep leaking. Should it just be minor effort or some real effort?

It should only need to be hand tight, no wrenches.

Check the surfaces that mate together, look to see if there is anything that is warped or cracked.

Also, carful when you screw then together- be sure you are not cross-threading the nut on the threaded connection. Everything should be parallel and smoothly rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd time's the charm! I unthreaded it and rethreaded it, carefully ensuring that all the threads were catching correctly. I tightened it pretty good hoping I wasn't over tightening it by hand and the seal was secure. Thanks for the advice ;)

I had the identical issue except this was the 4th time I had to acid wash my cells due to salt(?) buildup. Problem was I over tightened the connection. I found some silicone/Teflon grease put that on the seal and carefully hand tightened it. Started the pump, saw it still leaking a bit. Gave it a little more of a turn and the leak stopped. Jandy has redesigned this once and now replaced it completely with a new design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.