Jandy check valve on main pump discharge going to spa and to circ jets

Benlsargent

Aug 21, 2020
Tyler Tx
Pool Size
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Any other harm other than slight water loss from spa dropping level if I converted a Jandy check valve to a two way valve? And can I even do that conversation by pulling flapper on check and buying the Jandy insert kit with handle?

Longer story and a thread started by me on the yo-yo of Muratic acid and TA for my 43k gallon pool. My pool has a spa and circulates water into spa continually along with the side jets with an actuated valve that’s 1/4 open or closed isolating spa for spa mode. The waterfall spillover aeration causing ph to rise and the quantity of acid added drops TA. So I want to shut off the spa circ for most of the day eliminating the aeration. But on occasion I want the 1/4 open for waterfall effect. So with only two settings on the actuator valve I don’t have a third option therefore requiring another valve control. What’s the harm to a system not having the check?

Longer story and a thread started by me on the yo-yo of Muratic acid and TA for my 43k gallon pool. My pool has a spa and circulates water into spa continually along with the side jets with an actuated valve that’s 1/4 open or closed isolating spa for spa mode. The waterfall spillover aeration causing ph to rise and the quantity of acid added drops TA. So I want to shut off the spa circ for most of the day eliminating the aeration. But on occasion I want the 1/4 open for waterfall effect. So with only two settings on the actuator valve I don’t have a third option therefore requiring another valve control. What’s the harm to a system not having the check?
Many thanks for this forum so much info and fun to participate!

I am in a similar predicament. I tried to balance my spa suction/supply just to the point where it wont spillover the waterfall when it is running normally, filtering each day. I agree automating this process would be sweet, as I still want to filter out the spa portion but not always aerate with the waterfall.

Do you a suction/drain return from the spa back to the pump?

I am in a similar predicament. I tried to balance my spa suction/supply just to the point where it wont spillover the waterfall when it is running normally, filtering each day. I agree automating this process would be sweet, as I still want to filter out the spa portion but not always aerate with the waterfall.

Do you a suction/drain return from the spa back to the pump?
I do have a drain suction line for the spa that isolates the spa during spa mode but is shut during pool mode

I do have a drain suction line for the spa that isolates the spa during spa mode but is shut during pool mode
What would be the plan for that line I would assume it should stay for pool mode and is automated maybe u r thinking I could automate so no waterfall which I could but I want three options Spa Waterfall and no waterfall

What would be the plan for that line I would assume it should stay for pool mode and is automated maybe u r thinking I could automate so no waterfall which I could but I want three options Spa Waterfall and no waterfall
I was thinking, you could balance your spa return to match your spa suction so that you are not allowing (excess water) overflow to the waterfall. That is my hope on my end, to be able to dial it in with the 3-way valve (balance flow). Of course I am not in any automation, just manually adjusting valves.

As for all Spa, Spa/Waterfall, and no spa...then you are looking at a few control valves, but I would be afraid of a valve not working and sucking the spa dry and causing the pump to air lock. My best guess would be to find a way to operate the spa suction and return valves on modulating control valves...then you can setup presets for no spa (closed), spa (partially opened), spa/waterfall (full open). This will shut off flow, limit flow, and allow full flow so waterfall is operating.

I was thinking, you could balance your spa return to match your spa suction so that you are not allowing (excess water) overflow to the waterfall. That is my hope on my end, to be able to dial it in with the 3-way valve (balance flow). Of course I am not in any automation, just manually adjusting valves.

As your filter loads up with dirt, flow will decrease and you will lose that balance. You will need to continuously monitor the balance and adjust the valve or backwash your DE filter often.

Reactions: Viper16
As your filter loads up with dirt, flow will decrease and you will lose that balance. You will need to continuously monitor the balance and adjust the valve or backwash your DE filter often.
Good Point. ehhh, starting to see why pool/spa combos can be kind of a mess, especially when you are aerating the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having multiple positions on an automated valve has been a long desired feature.

Someday Pentair will have it when they release support for their Intellivalve.

Jandy has an add-on board for the Aqualink that allows multiple setpoints.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.