Jandy Blower Shutting off

Aug 23, 2017
Surprise, AZ
Hi Folks,
New to the forum but have learned so much, I thank you all for your information help. I have a seating area in my pool that has 4 jets in it. The seating area is about 40' from the seating area. The old blower quit working and was replaced about a month ago. It was also a Jandy and it was replaced with the exact same size.

When I start the blower now, it will run from 3-5 minutes and then turn off. In the control panel where the power for the blower comes from I will here a click when I try to restart the blower but it will not turn on. After a period of time it will turn back on and repeat the process of shutting off after 3-5 minutes. Is there something in the control panel that would be tripping the blower to shut off? The control panel is about 15 years and has a mechanical timer in it for the vacuum system in the pool.

I thought I would see if any of you folks had any thoughts or suggestions I could try. Thank you for your help.

DK,

Does the motor feel hot? Sounds like the thermal overload is tripping your motor. Is anything impeding flow of air to the motor cooling fan or there may be something in the air line that is causing high discharge pressure that is overloading the motor. Did you perform the install yourself? A photo of the wiring would be helpful as well as the motor ID plate. Any possibility it was wired to the wrong voltage?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your response. The motor does not feel hot, I agree with your comment about the thermal overload is tripping your motor. I don't believe there is any blockage as the motor that was replaced ran just fine the last 4 years we have lived in our home. I did the install myself. I am a retired golf course superintendent and have been around a lot of pumps and blowers at the golf course swimming pools I have managed. The install seemed straight forward. I paid attention to how the wires unplugged from the old blower and then attached them the same to the new blower. I have pictures of the blower and of the control panel. I will take a picture of the wiring tomorrow. Looking at the control panel, the area just to the right of the mechanical timer is where I hear a clicking sound when I try to re-start the blower after it shuts off. I hope this helps a little Chris, I am mystified at the moment. Again, I will take a picture of the wiring tomorrow and thank you for your help.

blower-jpg.101272

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 132
We hear many reports of blowers overheating and stopping due to high back pressure. Best fix is to vent some air. Something appears to be different with the new blowers that replace old ones although the specs are the same.

Either install a T in the blower standpipe and put in a valve so you can adjust the air released or drill some holes in the pipe.

Can't tell too much with only close up where do the blue wires go at the top of the box? When the motor runs what voltage do you get at it's terminals? You mentioned a click from the box when the motor stops what is doing this? While you do this, let me see if we can get an expert or two @CJadamec @Bama Rambler

Maybe you should try to run the pump off he discharge pipe. If it doesn't trip then this may be one of the blowers that has the issue Allen mentioned.

The clicking you hear when you try to restart the blower sounds like a relay pulling in.

Exactly how do you try to restart the blower?

Is the new blower the same model as the old one? They have both 120 volt and 240 volt models.

How handy are you with electrical troubleshooting?

Hi gentleman, I'll try to answer as much as I can, to start or restart the blower, there is a rubber covered button on the side of the pool that you push. Today I took the blower off the pipe and it ran continuously for 30 minutes and then I shut it off. The blower or any components of the blower never did get hot. The blower blew warm air, but not hot air. I haven't had a chance to check the voltage. The old blower I had was a Polaris and this one is a Jandy but everything is identical as far as specs. Did talk to Jandy Tech's and they believed if I hadn't wired the blower correctly it would not have run for the 30 minutes without a problem. Today I put it back on the pipe and was running the blower and one of the jets blew out of the wall, surprisingly the blower ran for about 15-20 minutes before shutting off. So my thought is like Allen mentioned is I am going to have to put in a tee and a valve and vent some of the air. I am a retired Golf Course Supt. of 35 years and have dealt with a lot of irrigation pumps and swimming pool components. Like I mentioned, the electrical part seemed like a plug and play to me, I know that doesn't give you a voltage measurement.

So this is where I am at in my quest to get the blower running. Would you all agree I should glue on a tee and a valve to vent some of the air? If any other thoughts I again appreciate all your help.

T and valve and try it can’t hurt anything and is inexpensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, I have not yet found out what the problem was. Tomorrow I'm going to contact a service company that works on jandy blowers and see if I can have them come out. I will let you know if I find out anything and please likewise let me know if you learn anything.

Thank you I appreciate that! My blower will run fine when the water level is below the jets. Once I fill up the spa, it doesn't push out the air anymore. It's like there is an air lock or something. I get water flow from the jets, albeit not very strong. The only reason the water was below the jets was to check for a leak. After they filled the spa up again, the blower wouldn't work correctly. So they came back, drained the spa, checked all the jets, blower worked fine. As soon as the spa was filled, I'm back to the same issue again.

Okay, so I finally was able to get some work done. I took the blower off the pipe and laid it on the ground and it ran like a champ. As soon as I put it back on the pipe the blower ran for about 5 minutes and shut off and would not turn back on. So, I went and purchased a 2" Tee and a 2" Valve to release some air to see if it would keep running. Sure enough, got the valve adjusted and the blower ran like a champ.

Now the challenge I have is that with installing the 2" valve and adjusting it to release some air, it sounds like I have a jet engine in my back yard from the sound of the air escaping from the the 2" valve.

Dean any body have any good DIY ideas for quieting down the air that is leaving the valve??? My idea is to get another 2" 90 and a 2" cap. I would install the 90 after the valve and turn it skyward and then put about a 2' piece of 2" pipe into the 90 and then cap off the 2' piece of pipe. I would then start drilling holes(I haven't yet determined the size of hole to drill) into the 2' tall piece of pipe and hopefully this would quiet the jet engine sound down to a tolerable low volume of air escaping the numerous holes in the 2' pipe.

Any thoughts from you folks would be so appreciated to my idea. Thanks and safe swimming!

Well I think I have it resolved. I put a key on top of the pipe with a small piece of pipe and the blower on top of that. And then out of the tee I put a small piece of pipe and put a 90 on the end of that. Into the 90 I put a piece of 2 in 2 ft tall pipe with a cap on it. and then I drilled 1/2 inch hole right near the edge of the cap and did silenced it dramatically and the blower is running awesome. hope that makes sense if not let me know and I'll try to take a picture of it.

Well I think I have it resolved. I put a key on top of the pipe with a small piece of pipe and the blower on top of that. And then out of the tee I put a small piece of pipe and put a 90 on the end of that. Into the 90 I put a piece of 2 in 2 ft tall pipe with a cap on it. and then I drilled 1/2 inch hole right near the edge of the cap and did silenced it dramatically and the blower is running awesome. hope that makes sense if not let me know and I'll try to take a picture of it.
I realize this is an old post... but any way you could post a picture of this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.