Jandy Aqualink RS (PDA-P4) and no serial signal (RS-485)

ilyzislin

May 31, 2022
NJ
I have a Jandy Aqualink RS (PDA-P4 version) with a PDA. (picture attached)
  1. PDA seems to have stopped working
    1. Used to work but now is stuck in WAITING mode
      1. Green and Red lights are on
      2. Tried to power off using the circuit breaker, remove 9V battery, reconnect the 9V battery Power on - no luck
  2. Serial connection via RS-485, also seems to have stopped working
    1. Had it connected to Raspberry Pi with AqualinkD (GitHub - sfeakes/AqualinkD: Daemon to control Jandy Aqualink RS pool equipment from any home automation hub (Alexa, Homekit & Siri, Home Assistant, smartthings, domoticz etc) or web browser.) worked for a very short bit
    2. Now no serial signal detected at all
  3. In service mode all the buttons work (filter pump, cleaner, etc turn on and function)
For what it's worth, once I get RS-485 working, I do not plan to use the PDA.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_235316972.jpg
    PXL_20220527_235316972.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 19
When you say AqualinkD worked for a very short bit, do you mean that it worked and you were able to control things or it worked for like a split second upon rebooting the PCB?

I'm asking this because the PDA firmware purposely neuters the RS-485 connection. You will see a sign of life on reboot, but then nothing after that. I know AqualinkD is supposed to support PDA firmware, but even Jandy's own implementation is buggy at best.

Something sounds wrong with the PCB itself then if neither the J-box nor AqualinkD can detect a working serial connection. You can send it off to BP Engineering to be fixed for $150, but I'd probably just replace the whole thing with a used one off eBay that doesn't have the stupid locked-down PDA firmware. This would also allow you to add an All-Button or some other indoor controller, in addition to using AqualinkD. My thread below covers a lot of random information about using RS-485 and official Aqualink software and the PDA firmware drawbacks. The other wiki link is chock full of useful info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.