Jandy 3 way for discharge before or after pump?

Weasel2017

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2021
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
1 Skimmer no main drain on pool. Was thinking of using Jandy 3 way valve before the pump as my shut off and also give me the option to discharge water from the pool when needed. Any issue having this on the suction side as opposed to the return?

How would putting the valve on the suction side of the pump allow you to discharge water?

My thought was to partially open the inlet going to the discharge to divert some of the water. The suction side port from skimmer and to pump would be fully open. I've seen the same set up done at the filter so maybe that is a better solution. Just trying to kill 2 birds with one Jandy valve.

Again, how would you send water to discharge from the suction side of the pump?

Regardless, you best to get a small sump pump to remove water from a pool. The risk of losing prime and destroying your pool pump is too high.

In my head with the system flowing I figured I could divert the water with the valve partially cracked to the discharge but now I see I am likely just creating another suction point for the system.

Any issue with putting the valve on the return side? I'm not looking to drain this pool with this just take excess water out after rains etc.

You can put it on the pressure side of the pump.
I again warn you of running the pump dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.