I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

I’ve got a question about DE/filter fiber. How quickly should I be seeing the rise in pressure? I made a slurry of about 7.5oz of fiber in a bucket of water and slowly poured half on my skimmer while watching the gauge, and 5 minutes later added the rest. The gauge still hasn’t bumped about 20 minutes later. I was under the impression it was like instantaneous?

I also bumped my filter up to 3000 RPMs while doing this to get an accurate filter reading as the VS are always low on the slow settings.

edit:
I spoke too soon... 30 minutes later it's finally reading 1 psi increase.
Keep an eye on your pressure the first couple of days. It will filter a lot out and then when you see how crystal clear your water is and you will be amazed. I never tire of looking at it.

So how do you get it to precipitate??
If you could figure out how to control that, you could quit your job and hang with the swells ?

Sometimes it precips into visible particles that your filter catches but then again sometimes it precips and sticks to your pool walls and floor. There have been many things tried to get it to come out of solution under control but no one has anything worthwhile.

I had a similar problem with my pool going through about a gallon of 10% a day as well. My pool also gets lots of sun and my CYA was at 50 right where I needed it or so I thought. I rechecked it just to rule out the possibility and after testing in accordance to the TFP way I found out it was barely at 20! I bought some stabilizer and actually got it up to 50 and now I'm only using around a 1/3 of a gallon a day.

That may not be your issue but I'd definitely recheck and verify your CYA level. I know at this point 1.5 gallons seems like nothing considering what you went through but I'd hate to have to keep dumping that much every day.

Reactions: kimkats
I had a similar problem with my pool going through about a gallon of 10% a day as well. My pool also gets lots of sun and my CYA was at 50 right where I needed it or so I thought. I rechecked it just to rule out the possibility and after testing in accordance to the TFP way I found out it was barely at 20! I bought some stabilizer and actually got it up to 50 and now I'm only using around a 1/3 of a gallon a day.

That may not be your issue but I'd definitely recheck and verify your CYA level. I know at this point 1.5 gallons seems like nothing considering what you went through but I'd hate to have to keep dumping that much every day.

Oh, no, 1.5 gallons feels excessive! Im unhappy with it. I actually bought the standard cya 50 test to compare to my own testing and they look identical. I’m not sure what else to do about it other then maybe upping to 60 or putting sail shades over the pool.

Hi guys!! I hope you all had a FUN weekend!! I DID! We went swimming all weekend and it's just fantastic :D I am SO happy and SO thankful to have come here for help!
Either way.. I never thought it would be SO BLUEEEEEE!
What a beautiful update!

We still haven't been able to swim, been cold & raining since my last post here! Our water temp (in a TINY pool compared to yours!) just reached 80 lol!

What a beautiful update!

We still haven't been able to swim, been cold & raining since my last post here! Our water temp (in a TINY pool compared to yours!) just reached 80 lol!
Well that is crazy! Our temp is a balmy 89 today lol.
Have you upped the CYA yet?
Sorry, this thread got away from me. I have another one going on the algae section.. it seems I had some sort of outbreak due to algae hiding in my step seams. I think I got that under control, but I'm still losing a lot of FC in the daytime. I did in the past add enough to reach 60 CYA but after relooking at my testing I think I'm only at 50. It's such a fine line so I am nervous to add more.
It's been 90s+ with 98-100+ head indexes... UV indexes in 10-11 range... water temp 89 degrees... losing 6-8ppm FC daily. 0-1ppm overnight loss since I scrubbed out the algae.

Trying to enjoy things between frustrations though...! SOMEONE loves it!

65237440_2203837636352790_4216176258393833472_o.jpg

I LOVE that pic! She looks so happy! You will be able to sit back and enjoy your pool when it all settles down. You are still in the learner curve so have a slight bit more work to do. Just think back to where you started! You have come a LONG way already! Keep it up!

I LOVE that pic! She looks so happy! You will be able to sit back and enjoy your pool when it all settles down. You are still in the learner curve so have a slight bit more work to do. Just think back to where you started! You have come a LONG way already! Keep it up!

I am learning something new about it everyday it feels like! Haha. I just discovered what a weir door was and that i didn’t have one. So i ordered one off amazon and stuck it in place and holy cow my skimmer skims now ?

What else don’t I know lol!

F3FA4248-7A70-4913-BA5A-9C8C46DF7278.jpeg

My pool was particularly shiny today. I’m thinking of getting a floating solar fountain (lord knows it’ll have plenty of juice) to constantly agitate the water. And, my iron stain went back out on the liner due to my slam BUT it... went more evenly disbursed? So the hue it’s given the water is actually not so bad. Almost got that Caribbean hue ?

Reactions: CarolineM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh.. so apparently there are fountains you can attach to the jets. @kimkats you told me before that we had the same kind of jets, I still haven't figured out how to move them lol? Maybe I am just too scared to put pressure on it. What is the worst that can happen if I bust it? I assume my liner will be perfectly safe still? o_O
Apparently these fountains can drop water temp which would be niiiice. My water is ALREADY 90 degrees and it's not even July yet...
Although with only 2 return jets at either end of my pool, will it suffer circulation loss by fitting one with a fountain? Or will that still provide enough?

What did you end up doing and how did it go? (Edit, I found your explanation. ?
I have a brand new pool with stains and have AA in hand but am waiting for advice on my thread.)

Filter Fiber is what exactly? DE? Did you use it?

Last edited:
What did you end up doing and how did it go? (Edit, I found your explanation. ?
I have a brand new pool with stains and have AA in hand but am waiting for advice on my thread.)

Filter Fiber is what exactly? DE? Did you use it?

Filter Fiber is a product from jacks magic or well, that’s the one I got anyhow. It acts just like DE as far as I know but it’s a cellulose product that is safer then pool grade de. I backwash into my lawn and my dog is always around the area so I didn’t want to put DE out there.

I did use it and it helped get really fine stuff that was floating around the pool, out. I also put hair nets in the skimmer basket. It didn’t necessarily go along with AA treatment - although Jacks Magic does suggest it when doing that treatment. I don’t really know that it will help take any iron out. I just used it for ultra fine filtering :)

Edit:
I still have a bunch left. It comes out with backwashing. I haven’t “needed” to add more past the first 2 rounds I did. I was having really fine particles floating around on the surface and suspended, just couldn’t get rid of them. I think the filter fiber grabbed a ton and now the hair nets keep it away!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tena
Filter Fiber is a product from jacks magic or well, that’s the one I got anyhow. It acts just like DE as far as I know but it’s a cellulose product that is safer then pool grade de.

Ahh... Thank you so much! I've read all day for several days and that stumped me. So glad it worked out for you!

Get someone to stand outside the pool where the pipe goes into the pool for the return you want to try to turn. Have them hold that pipe so there is not chance of it moving. Then YOU turn to turn the outer ring of the return in side the pool. There should be bumps to help you hold it. Turn it COUNTER clock wish aka towards the LEFT......remember Righty-Tighty, Lefty-loosy.

If you hands cannot grip it then you can try a "strap belt" like this: 2 Pc Rubber Strap Wrench Set make sure to have it ONLY on the bumpy part of the ring.

Now if that does not work you can VERY CAREFULLY use a flat head screw driver and hammer. You will put the blade inside one of the areas between the bumps and GENTLY tape the hammer on the handle end of the screwdriver. If it does not give with that STOP and don't mess with it any more. We do NOT want you to break the pipe

I only have one return but I also have a round pool so it works fine with one. With your pool be an oval it might need two returns to make it move like it should to use your weir doored skimmer (Good learn on your part!)

Now lets go a step further on trying to get you a fountain to help cool your pool off. Is your equipment hard piped? As in does it have PVC pipes running from the filter/pump to the pool? I have an idea but need this answer first.

Kim:kim:

I have a very similar setup on my steps, and I get algae there if I don't brush it regularly. When I brush the pool, I try to hit it, and every couple of weeks, I use a toothbrush to get deep down in there. The gunk that comes out is always surprising, especially in the spring after opening.

I am using a 128 oz bottle of 10% every day right now (typical for this heat and in full sun from 8 am until sunset), and I am not that far from you so your chlorine use might be pretty spot on. I never raise my CYA above 50. I am not willing to raise my chlorine levels for a higher CYA. I do backwash a couple of times a week since I run Fiber Clear in my filter all season. So I check that monthly.

Also, when it is this hot, I do add a half gallon of chlorine around 3-4 pm to keep my chlorine level up. If I am not home, I skip it for that day or do it as soon as I get back. I then test in the evening as the sun is going down and see where I am at and bring it up to 7 or 8.

Get someone to stand outside the pool where the pipe goes into the pool for the return you want to try to turn. Have them hold that pipe so there is not chance of it moving. Then YOU turn to turn the outer ring of the return in side the pool. There should be bumps to help you hold it. Turn it COUNTER clock wish aka towards the LEFT......remember Righty-Tighty, Lefty-loosy.

If you hands cannot grip it then you can try a "strap belt" like this: 2 Pc Rubber Strap Wrench Set make sure to have it ONLY on the bumpy part of the ring.

Now if that does not work you can VERY CAREFULLY use a flat head screw driver and hammer. You will put the blade inside one of the areas between the bumps and GENTLY tape the hammer on the handle end of the screwdriver. If it does not give with that STOP and don't mess with it any more. We do NOT want you to break the pipe

I only have one return but I also have a round pool so it works fine with one. With your pool be an oval it might need two returns to make it move like it should to use your weir doored skimmer (Good learn on your part!)

Now lets go a step further on trying to get you a fountain to help cool your pool off. Is your equipment hard piped? As in does it have PVC pipes running from the filter/pump to the pool? I have an idea but need this answer first.

Kim:kim:
62F111BF-B0C1-420B-B06A-439E531B3465.jpeg

Here was a photo of the setup.
I also have that failed cleaner port pipe that was a mystery for a while. One of those lines is to that, and that’s all it controls I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.