I've been adding chlorine daily. Is that "normal"?

nabril15

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2011
Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello all
My latest and normal numbers:
FC 5, ph 7.8, TA 70, CH 350, CYA 50

I am trying to maintain my FC at a recommended chart level of 6-9. Every day, I'm having to bring up the FC from 6 to 9.
I know perfectly well that chlorine is a consumable specially here in very sunny Miami.
But, is it normal to have to bring it up every day or every other day?
Can I use pucks to supplement my chlorine a bit? I don't want to raise my CYA, so I haven't been using them. But with CYA at 50, can I afford to put in a couple of pucks in the inline chlorinator? Or will that not do much for FC.
I did an OCLT test last night, and I did not loose any.

Your pool uses chlorine every day to sanitize and it also gets burned up by the sun. Your chlorine level is perfect. You will need to add chlorine daily to replenish this is normal. Other options are to get a chlorine injection system or a saltwater chlorine generator.

Yes, it's normal. Your pool is like a pet. You have to feed it every day.

Every trichlor puck you add will raise FC by 3 and CYA by 1.8. So no more than 6 pucks... 18 FC... 6 days' chlorination. IF you can regulate the speed at which they dissolve.

If it gets to be too much of a PITA, add a saltwater generator. It's the same exact process they use to make bleach, but it's done on-site and eliminates jugs and transportation. People have crunched the numbers and found the cost over the lifespan of the cell works out about the same as bleach, but it's much more convenient.

Another cheaper solution is to use a little peristaltic pump and a timer. I have it add chlorine twice a day and adjust the dilution and time to keep the free chlorine about 5 or 6ppm. The pump runs on 12VDC from a wallwart power supply. Pump On Amazon HERE Power supply HERE (I do not own Amazon)...
Timer?? Hmm. I use an Arduino Microcomputer which also does other pool and house stuff. But there are small timers you could plug the little 12V power supply into. See THIS ONE that seems to have 15 minute intervals.
Here's my setup: (Lots of details HERE )
ChlorineCloseup.jpg

Another cheaper solution is to use a little peristaltic pump and a timer. I have it add chlorine twice a day and adjust the dilution and time to keep the free chlorine about 5 or 6ppm. The pump runs on 12VDC from a wallwart power supply. Pump On Amazon HERE Power supply HERE (I do not own Amazon)...
Timer?? Hmm. I use an Arduino Microcomputer which also does other pool and house stuff. But there are small timers you could plug the little 12V power supply into. See THIS ONE that seems to have 15 minute intervals.
Here's my setup: (Lots of details HERE )
ChlorineCloseup.jpg
So I know that heat/UV will render liquid chlorine less effective, but I am curious if open air containers have any affect? I also dose with a peristaltic pump but I made a special lid that fits onto the 1Gal jug to keep it air tight. The downside is I have to swap in a new jug pretty frequently. I guess my question is, do you notice any degradation in the chlorine strength from dumping into a larger vessel with an open top?

So I know that heat/UV will render liquid chlorine less effective, but I am curious if open air containers have any affect? I also dose with a peristaltic pump but I made a special lid that fits onto the 1Gal jug to keep it air tight. The downside is I have to swap in a new jug pretty frequently. I guess my question is, do you notice any degradation in the chlorine strength from dumping into a larger vessel with an open top?
Check this out: Stenner installation with buried tank for AZ heat

I also buried a 55gal drum and have it hooked to a Stenner pump.
I tuned it in to my pool, and just double check my numbers a couple of times a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.