It's still green?

May 30, 2017
St Stephen sc
I need to explain but i have a question why is my pool green and what do i do?? I bought a above ground pool 16x48 a dew weeks ago. I took 2 days to fill because I didn't want to fill it at night or when I wasn't home to monitor it. I have well water btw.
I never owned a pool so I bought a small pools/spa kit because the pool holds 5000 gallons water. It came with chlorine tablets, test strips and shock. Well I added recommended amount of shock and added chlorine tablets I came out a few hours later maybe less and the water went from Crystal clear to green!
I did some research and found that it meant there was high levels of metal in the water reacting to chemicals made sense, I also went to a pool place explained what happened they said the same thing. I bought metal out they informed me the filter would get really gross as it pulls the metal out which really didn't appear to happen but I did metal out 48hr later water still green so I did it again still no resolution, i read to double shock it after metal out I did that 48hr after that still green so I brought a sample of water to be tested after advising all I've done they concluded the alkalinity was too low and the stabilizer but no metals in water so I bought the stuff they told me to use 2 days later pools still green took a sample to a different place who said ph was to high alkalinity too high and there was zero stabilizer and zero chlorine. I used ph decreaser and a stabilizer and also through all this kept a floater going with chlorine tabs in it. The guy told me to shock it in two day. Well i got all the levels correct and it was still green I shocked it like he said but no change and I feel like I'm just going back to square one, I put in so many chemicals I don't know what to do now! Id also like to add I have been constantly changing filters and or cleaning them as needed also running my pump 24/7 I use the net to get any floating debris or dead bugs and also vacuumed when it was needed. The best I can get out of it is it seems to be somewhat clear but it's still Green Tinted which we keep going back and forth between a dark cloudy green and just a green tint to the water I'm just not sure what to do at this point? I asked the people at a pool place if I should drain and restart and they advised not to because then I just have to do everything I've done already again. The filter is getting dirty and Kind of orange in color when I check it and I rinse it off frequently

Welcome to Pool Store roulette! The key to getting out of the pool store is to test your own water. I use a TF-100 test kit and I buy mine from TFTestkits.net. It is the best value, here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Is your water clear and green? Cloudy and green? Do you have any test results at all?

It sounds like you've got iron in your water, more here about managing that, Pool School - Pool Stains

Re: Why is it green?

You have come to the right place. there are awesome people on this forum who can get you where you need to be. I am new but I will share some of the advice that helped me out. First STOP GOING TO THE POOL STORE. Any questions that you have can be answered here and most all have solutions that do not involve a pool store. I had my pool for 4 years before I found this website and I wish I had back the money I spent in the pool store. Second, your gonna need to get a quality test kit. Experts on this page can fix the issues with your water but they will need reliable test results. Third. Set up the signature on your profile with the details of your pool: Size, Type, Gallons, Filter and any other equipment you are using. Fourth. Take pictures of your water and add them to your posts. Its easier to see whats going on with the pictures.

If I were you i would order a tf-100 test kit http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html ASAP. While you are waiting for the test kit to arrive I would read the pool school information on this site: https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/ That way when the test kit is delivered you will be ready to go. When you get your kit run a full set of tests and post them here and wait for advice before you do anything else. Good luck and stay with it. The SLAM method took my pool form a swamp to crystal clear in a week.

It goes back and forth when I shock it then it's cloudy for a few days then it become transparent but green. I had it tested to see if it's metals still but they told me at both places not metal was showing. I was feeling like those pool places were trying to give me a ring around. I tested the water with my test strips but from shocking it yesterday the chlorine level is way too high.

Does the filter cartridge look rusty brown/orange when you take it out?
Duh, I see it does.
The article about dealing with metals is a great place to start. Lots of good info.

I had success removing the iron with a 5 gallon bucket filter. You can Google or search here for pics and info. It basically is a huge filter that filters out the oxidized iron. I am lucky because I've never had to top off my pool, mother nature keeps me full so I only had iron issues after the initial fill.

I just have the test strips after going out and testing the water all the levels are showing within the okay the cya appears to be around 40 alkalinity looks like it could be between 120 and 180 but I was told that because I have well water the alkalinity could be on the higher side the colors are so similar hard to tell the difference the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 the chlorine however is showing at 10 on the test strip I know the chlorine levels probably going to be high because I shocked it less than 24 hours ago .
I did check the filter because the filters are paper on I'm able to hose It Off and it was orange kind of a rusty color but I have noticed that appearing on the filters for a while now I wonder if it could still be the metal out trying to process because I did put two treatments in the pool and it's only a 5000 gallon pool I also wonder if the pump is less than adequate and is just not filtering as fast as I'm putting chemicals in?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does.

- - - Updated - - -

So should I just continue to clean filter every few hours and let it run its course? Because I already out something in it for metal twice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.