It's starting! new build Cypress Texas.

rednecked

Sep 27, 2019
Houston
So yesterday they marked it out. Today they will have to move the gas line and tomorrow they dig!
first time so it is small and simple. Enough for me to lounge about like Homer Simpson in during the HOT Texas summers!

Here is what we've got:
26 1/2 X 13 1/2 freeform (kind of kidney shaped
13125 gallons
tanning ledge and two lounge chairs
small seat ledge
Pentair 420 filter
chlorinator feeder
Intelliflow VS pump
Rebel side suction cleaner
10 ft X 1 ft wall along the backside with a 1 ft waterfall
Travertine coping
comfort deck decking

pool mockup 1.jpgpool mockup 2.jpgpool mockup 3.jpgpool mockup 5.jpg

Exciting times!! Your equipment looks pretty good with the exception of your cleaner choice. A much better choice is to get a robot which just plugs into a nearby electrical outlet and cleans away. Then you take it out like many or leave it in like some. It does need to be emptied after several runs depending on the debris load. Suction cleaners are very old technology that do an average job at best. And they send the debris to your filter causing it to clog faster.

Highly recommend calling Marina Pool and Spa and asking for a recommendation. You will order by phone with them. The Dolphin robots are by far the most popular, with the S200 model, or it's many equivalents, being perfect for your pool. It's the cheapest in-ground pool version at ~$700. Ask for the filter swap if you buy from there (free). Margaret will know what you mean. It gives you the ability for dual filtration and a bit easier cleaning of the fine cartridges.

Oh, and also important. You are showing a chlorinator feeder. AKA a puck feeder. This will cause you trouble before long and forever after. Use of chlorine pucks (combined chlorine and cyanuric acid - CYA) causes CYA levels to rise which after a season or less can cause chlorine to be ineffective. A MUCH better solution is to install a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG). They use electricity to convert salt in your pool water into chlorine. Then when the chlorine kills bacteria, it converts back to salt. It's the modern equivalent of sliced bread. Your PB may not like SWG's but you can safely ignore his outdated approach if that's the case. See the links below for additional information:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

let me tell you, these guys don't waste any time!
Friday and Saturday they were jamming!
this week's schedule
Tuesday - clean up
Wednesday - plumbing
Thursday - Electrical
Friday - tile and coping

I stood there and watched the entire gunnite spray job. It was fascinating 6-8 guys working together as a well oiled machine. No one got in anyone's way, everyone stayed busy and had a job to do the entire time. about 4 hours total time to spray and make it pretty.

Attachments

• Friday 030620.jpg
    Friday 030620.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Saturday 030720.jpg
    Saturday 030720.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
in the spirit of compromise with my girlfriend (one day to be wife) SWG is a non-starter as she believes it will strip the coloring from her hair. That is not the hill I want to die on!

I'll get the robot sometime down the road. that one is easier!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guess what time it is!!! It is time for you own set of links!

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Make sure to bond aka water your new baby! This will help it cure slower making it even stronger in the long run!

Kim:kim:

in the spirit of compromise with my girlfriend (one day to be wife) SWG is a non-starter as she believes it will strip the coloring from her hair. That is not the hill I want to die on!
I totally get picking your battles. When you do switch she should see a remarkable difference in her hair. When we swam all the times at friends LC pools, the Mrs and one of my daughters had knotty, razor sharp hair anytime we swam all day. They needed a special swimmers shampoo to fix it and it was in addition to the regular routine. Since we got the pool installed and went salt, they haven’t had the problem since. @YippeeSkippy had a similar experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.