It's Hot in Georgia.

carterj92

Well-known member
Jun 7, 2011
90
Columbus, GA
#1
Temps are in the 100s with the heat index. Its 2pm and the pool is 94º. I bought a new thermometer last weekend when it was reading in the 90s because I thought it was broken. Turns out it wasn't haha. Any ideas on how to keep the pool cool? Its getting a little too warm to swim in. Do fountains really help? Also, I seem to be loosing about a 1/2 - 1in of water a week. Is that just normal evaporation?
 

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
1,924
North Georgia
#3
Man has it been hot!!!!!!!!! There are a couple of good threads here on the fountains. I'm going to be building one this weekend, my pool too is 94 which is too hot however i do like it at night, i'd prefer 91.

questions-on-building-a-pvc-fountain-t48562.html

I like that guys design, i want something that rests on the side of my pool i think it would be less likely to get broken off by the kids.
 
Aug 11, 2011
14
#4
I also think your water loss is just evaporation, it doesn't sound excessive to me. Right now I am adding water once or twice a week myself.
 
G
#5
We have been in a drought in Northwest Indiana, and I have been adding water about 5 days out of the week..........we just finally got some rain last night and today .....YIPPEE ! So I would guess yours is evaporation also.
 

kyle11

Well-known member
May 17, 2012
470
#6
woodyp said:
Running an aerator fountain at night awhile works wonders. Just watch your PH.
Do you know if running 4 deck jets would have the same affect? We are fixing to start building our pool and are installing deck jets in the concrete. Being in Alabama the heat is terrible down here at times and just looking ahead at cooling off the pool.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
9,001
Evans, Georgia
#7
106 is what Wunderground.com says I've got beading down on me.... The air conditioning man came out this morning for our summer tune up and the poor guy had to go up into the attic and below the crawl space to inspect. :oops:

We're gonna finish up some work here, fix ourselves some adult bevs and melt into the pool. :party:
 

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
636
#8
YippeeSkippy said:
106 is what Wunderground.com says I've got beading down on me.... The air conditioning man came out this morning for our summer tune up and the poor guy had to go up into the attic and below the crawl space to inspect. :oops:
That's what they get paid to do :rant: We will be having our freon topped off on Monday.

YippeeSkippy said:
We're gonna finish up some work here, fix ourselves some adult bevs and melt into the pool. :party:
I can't wait to get home.
 

acroy

Well-known member
May 11, 2010
186
Dallas TX
#9
carterj92 said:
Temps are in the 100s with the heat index. Its 2pm and the pool is 94º. I bought a new thermometer last weekend when it was reading in the 90s because I thought it was broken. Turns out it wasn't haha. Any ideas on how to keep the pool cool? Its getting a little too warm to swim in. Do fountains really help? Also, I seem to be loosing about a 1/2 - 1in of water a week. Is that just normal evaporation?
FWIW, my local pool store gives away blocks of ice to customers. If no such thing is near, bite the bullet and buy a few cubes, (or dry ice!) it helps.

Yep the water loss is inline with evaporation during hot weather

Enjoy :)
 

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
636
#10
acroy said:
FWIW, my local pool store gives away blocks of ice to customers. If no such thing is near, bite the bullet and buy a few cubes, (or dry ice!) it helps.
I'm honestly surprised they don't offer you a discount on a $60+ (PVC) "Pool Chiller."
 

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
9,001
Evans, Georgia
#12
Wow, today's pool temp was...unexpected! I didn't open up the automatic cover until about 2 pm as Skippy was working around there in the yard. Opened up the pool in 106 degrees sunny temp and by 4 pm we jumped in. The pool was about 1/2 shaded by then. The top foot or so of water was almost spa hot and the lower water was downright refreshing and cooler feeling than its been all week! I usually open the cover earlier in the day so I wonder if it acted like an insulator more than a heat trapper? I dunno... once we splashed about and mixed it all up the temp in the water was 90.

Note to self-must research this odd phenomenon more!
 

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
1,924
North Georgia
#13
YippeeSkippy said:
Wow, today's pool temp was...unexpected! I didn't open up the automatic cover until about 2 pm as Skippy was working around there in the yard. Opened up the pool in 106 degrees sunny temp and by 4 pm we jumped in. The pool was about 1/2 shaded by then. The top foot or so of water was almost spa hot and the lower water was downright refreshing and cooler feeling than its been all week! I usually open the cover earlier in the day so I wonder if it acted like an insulator more than a heat trapper? I dunno... once we splashed about and mixed it all up the temp in the water was 90.

Note to self-must research this odd phenomenon more!
I've written about it. Run your pump with cover on and full sun it will heat up more cause water circulates up against hot cover. Turn pump off top 1' of water will get really hot but bottom will stay cooler. I've been running my pump 24/7 for a couple days to clear up my DE spillage and my temp is 96! Building a PVC fountain tomorrow to cool this sucker off!!!
 

carterj92

Well-known member
Jun 7, 2011
90
Columbus, GA
#14
I went and bought a few bags of ice this morning to put in the pool. I think it did help some. 103º today... fun. I hope the waterloss is just evaporation. I'm hoping our 5yo intex doesn't take the plunge till after this season. WE need RAIN soooo bad. I think its been 2 weeks, maybe longer since we've even had a light shower. I expected some thunder storms with all this heat though.
 

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
1,924
North Georgia
#15
Gosh it's hot today! Got a prototype fountain running right now, let the rain fall in a bucket and took its temp... 87 down from 91...3-4 degree temp loss pretty good bit what do I know. Feels like standing in a cold shower in the hot pool. Don't know the flow rate so can even hazard a guess how long it would take to actually drop the pools temp any. Well check late tonight and see if the temp loss is any greater, should be 70 late tonight.
 

carterj92

Well-known member
Jun 7, 2011
90
Columbus, GA
#16
YippeeSkippy said:
106 is what Wunderground.com says I've got beading down on me.... The air conditioning man came out this morning for our summer tune up and the poor guy had to go up into the attic and below the crawl space to inspect. :oops:

We're gonna finish up some work here, fix ourselves some adult bevs and melt into the pool. :party:
We're in the pool most of the day because of our AC problems. Thermostat is set to 68 but it can't manage to keep the temp under 78-80. Our unit is way too small for the size of our home. We're just going to run the one we have into the ground I guess and do some improvements this winter. I don't our unit has cut off in the last few days. I'm expect another $500 powerbill for July! :sunny:
 

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
1,924
North Georgia
#17
kyle11 said:
woodyp said:
Running an aerator fountain at night awhile works wonders. Just watch your PH.
Do you know if running 4 deck jets would have the same affect? We are fixing to start building our pool and are installing deck jets in the concrete. Being in Alabama the heat is terrible down here at times and just looking ahead at cooling off the pool.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no idea. I think the idea is to get the water into a fine stream and the separate out into little droplets to maximize cooling. Are the deck jets putting out large streams of water? Maye you could put diff nozzles on them? I don't think it would hurt maybe increase evaporation.