Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Yep, the Texas Killer Cold Snap. All of my citrus died. Nothing coming back. Today, to the sound of chainsaws, it is all gone.

Here is the day after Christmas, 2020

Christmas.jpg

This is right after the snow storm & killer cold.

after storm.jpg

Dead - The Magnolias and Crepe Myrtles are fine. All Citrus dead.

Dead.jpg

Orange Trees

orange grove.jpg

Lemons and Grapefruit

lemon grove.jpg

Gone, all gone. I'm going to initially add more Crepe Myrtles, maybe some red bud, and maybe put in 4 citrus trees on the side of the house. (Left and behind of picture)

gone.jpg

I lost a bunch of stuff on year 4 (?) that did fine in our climate when that winter was particularly harsh. I feel ya. It stunk too because it was all finally fully mature/ rooted/ blooming and *poof* gone

There are better citrus for our climate and I'll pick some that are more hardy. The real crime will be all of the tall Mexican and Oil Palms in the neighborhood. While I never really liked them...it may cost $500 per tree to remove! That will be between $50K-100K!

The Florida (short) palms did fine! The leaves didn't even go brown. And the Magnolias are fantastic. My Gem Magnolias survived (Green trees at each end of my yard). I hope we replace the tall palms with pine.

Reactions: imrodee
Citrus were too large to put on blankets. If I could have covered them and put the heat from the Generator exhaust under them, maybe...

There are better citrus for our climate and I'll pick some that are more hardy.
The problem wasn’t your climate, it was my climate taking a stroll through your area. It’s back now where it belongs. Leave the fence open just once, I tell ya. Anywho we’ll try to keep it caged up going forward. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Casey and HermanTX
When I replaced all my Christmas lights and converted to LED's, I repurposed all those old school Christmas lights for my citrus trees.
Thats an awesome hack and I was going to suggest leaving them on for the warm season for festive purposes, but then it would be wasting the precious electricity that was the reason you replaced them with LEDs in the first place. Oh well. Still Bravo.

The problem wasn’t your climate, it was my climate taking a stroll through your area. It’s back now where it belongs. Leave the fence open just once, I tell ya. Anywho we’ll try to keep it caged up going forward. :)
If you like, I can send you some Houston Weather...in August. 100F and 80F+ dewpoint. Imagine it not going below 80F overnight! And wet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a familiar scene in my Houston neighborhood, too (including my house). Casualties include: 6+ Hibiscus, Angel Trumpets, various semi-tropical groundcovers (though some are looking like they might come back), 10+ of some unidentified hedge bush that was there when I bought the place. The only citrus I have is a Buddha Hand and it's in a pot so it was relocated to the garage.

I had heard this was a once in a 100 year cold event. Are you planning on putting tropical trees back in?
The last time I recall weather like this in the Gulf South was when I was a senior in high school. That was somewhat less than 100 years ago. :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.