It's been a while

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
I haven't been around in a while. I was on deployment in the military last year and we didn't open the pool.
I know what I need to do to get it cleaned up but I was curious if anything has changed in the last year to year and a half.

Something like:
"Don't use chlorox bleach anymore because they changed something."
" Don't put CYA in a sock anymore because of ......"

If nothing has changed or nothing new has been discovered, then I will get on with my SLAM.

Nothing has changed other than nearly all bleach at grocery stores is now at best 6%. So get liquid chlorine.

Thank you for your service.

Dang it. I saw that on the 5 boxes that I bought today. Should have made my post before hand. I saw that label and thought to myself,
"What could they have changed that really made it not usable?"
Did I really just waste the money on 15 gallons of bleach I can't use?

Let's see....

Test strips are now dependable and dichlor is the preferred chlorine source.

Just kidding :mrgreen:

Bleach went from gallons at 6% to 121 ounces at 8.25% to 121 ounces at 6% without corresponding price changes. And they added a bunch of stuff that might be great for clothes but is lousy for pools, as Marty mentioned., That's about the extent of it.

• Haha
Reactions: awtrizzle
Your first post I thought you knew that about Clorox -- sorry!

It can foam up your pool. You can use it but I would not pour a large amount at once. And just be aware it is 6% now.

Also I appreciate the appreciation of my service. It pays the bills but other than that it is not something I enjoy. It's a very stressful environment.
So if the "bulk" boxes that I buy at my local Sam's Club is out of the question, what is another way to bulk purchase bleach? I like to get about 5-6 boxes of 3 each time I go to the store, especially during a SLAM.

Walmart Pool Essentials. Home Depot Liquid chlorine, but watch it as it can be old and stored outside. Do you have Ocean State Job lots in your area? That is mentioned alot. Farm / feed stores. Menards, Atwoods, etc

I guess I will have to do some research and find some liquid chlorine. There is a place that I go to every now and then, a pool store, maybe I can start going there instead.
I always wanted a stenner pump setup with a big chemical jug, maybe I will have bite the bullet and just do it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.