Is this PVC?

nottinbe

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Webster Groves, MO
I'm re-plumbing the equipment pad of a pool I inherited a few years ago. Pulled up the deck boards to get to more of the piping and found a connection I didn't understand. What I would have assumed was PVC pipe coming from the pool connects to what I know to be PVC pipe heading to the pad, but with steel hose clamps instead of glue.

Is the black pipe PVC? If not what is it? It is hard pipe.

001.jpg

002.jpg

1. Why would they have used that? (It looks like it is used for the return line and the main drain. The two skimmers are Sch 80 PVC)
2. Is it bad? Not that I can do anything about it, just want to learn more about it.
3. When I cut it back and make a new connection to PVC, is replicating the connection that is there now still the best way to do it?

In the second picture from left to right is Skimmer 1, Main Drain, Skimmer 2, Return to eyeballs. The skimmer pipes transition from PVC 40 to PVC 80 out of frame of the picture. The main drain and the return both use this black pipe with the steel hose clamps.

In the first picture you can see where they all turn 90 up into then the union valves for each that are accessible from the pad.

Polly pipe has issues with the connections rusting out or corroding. But is is better for low temperature applications. Poly will handle freezing and frosts better than PVC. Generally you don't want to run either unprotected above ground like yours are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.