Is this pump toast?

I have an automation system, but I have my VSP only connected to the relay for power. I keep my VS pump on 24/7 but at a very low speed. I run about 40GPM 24/7 and it is cheaper than running a single speed 1 hp pump for 1 hr! My speed timers are programmed right on the pump. I paid around $700 for my Hayward, but 5+ years ago.

If you do not want to spend the money on a VSP, Doheny's also sells some automated 2 speed pumps. You will not get the power down to the VSP levels (60 Watts!), but at 400 Watts on low speed you will still save a lot of money over a 1 hp (1776 Watts) pump.

Doheny's 2-Speed Pool Pump, 220V, 1.5 HP - Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

I think you should try the Doheny's VS pump. You only need to provide power from the pool. You program the timers and speeds on the pump itself with the control panel. And the Price sure seems right. And for most of us, the 1.5HP is just fine. I have a 25,000 gallon pool with the Haywards 1.85 HP pump and normally I run it at 1200 RPM and around 60 Watts. And the price is only about $150 more than the 2 speed.

Doheny's Pool Pro VS Variable Speed Inground Pool Pump, 1.5 HP - Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Rev. HH is from 10/15/1998.

The Variable Frequency Drive can be operated by the following AquaLink Controllers:

AquaLink RS (Rev O or later) AquaLink PDA (Rev 4.0 or later) AquaLink Z4

In 2008 – Rev O = Communication with Variable Speed pumps.

Your system is too old to control the variable speed pump. You could upgrade the system to control a variable speed pump or just use a variable speed pump in standalone mode.

So, I would set up the VS timings, and then just use my control panel for off/on? I’m just assuming that it needs to run higher when in use.

I keep mine on 24/7. Filtration works better with low speed. And it saves money.

21.5 hours at 1200 RPM - Fast enough the SWG works - 55-60 Watts, 40 GPM (1.3kWh/day) 51,600 Gal/day - Also VERY quiet
1 hour morning @2800 RPM - Skimmers work well - 700 Watts, 100 GPM (0.7 kWh/day) 6000 Gal/day
1 hour evening @2800 RPM - Skimmers work well - 700 Watts, 100 GPM (0.7 kWh/day) 6000 Gal/day
1/2 hour noon @2800 RPM - Spa mode circulation - 700 Watts, 100 GPM (0.35 kWh/day) 3000/Gal/day
Total is 3.kWh/day. Notice, the 2.5 hours at high speed use more energy that the entire rest of the day. And I circulate the pool 67,000 Gal/day. And the pool is VERY clean.

Running my pump 24/7 allows me to keep the SWG set to only 22% during the summer. It is running 10% in the winter (so far).

I still have a 2 pump setup (Primary and "boost"). My Boost is a 3/4 HP power hog, but it can be controlled with my remote. If I manually turn on the SPA, I switch the boost pump on and the heater works. If I heat my pool in the fall/spring months, I do the same.

The alternative is to run the pump a bit higher speed so that the heater switch works anytime (1500 RPM, 125 Watts).

Also, at least on my pump, are 4 buttons. These are programmable for speed and duration. I have them setup for 2400 RPM for 3 hours, 2800 RPM for 3 hours, 3450 RPM for 3 hours and 3450 RPM for 12 hours.

The Doheny pump has only 3 speeds, 1500, 2400 and 3250. And it has 2 modes, 16 hours/day and 24 hours per day. I expect you will get similar energy consumption at the same speed, 1500 should be about 125 Watts, 2400 about 450 Watts and 3250 about 1200 Watts. This will vary depending on your filter, how clean your filter is and the design and size of your piping.

Savings: I "thought" I had a 1/2 hp main pump. I in fact had a 1 hp pump (1776 Watts!). I was running my pump 16 hours per day (6AM to 10PM), because I was told this was the thing to do. I was using 28 kWh PER day with my main pump. @8 cents per kWh, this is was about $1200 per year. Yep, I was an idiot. ANY pump would have payed for itself in one year.

Lets say you run 8 hours per day and pay 10 cents per kWh, your op cost of a 1 hp pump is about $775/year. If you run 24/7 on the ECO program, your cost will become about $110 per year.

I have a 2hp now (is that too big for 18k?) and run it 8hr/day.

I might replace it all, but 1.5hp has about 96gpm and 1hp is just under 90.

I’d like to control it all inside, so the 2 speed seems like a winner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess that is a good question. I want energy efficiency without breaking the bank, I thought I wanted to be able to control it from inside, but I understand it’s not necessary with the external control panel. We have a waterfall feature we divert part of the return from to hot tub To allow it to overflow into the pool.

2 hp is HUGE for your pool. A Hayward 2HP (rated) pump pulls 11 amps at 230 VAC, 2530 Watts. At 8 hours per day, this will be about 20kWh/day, or nearly 7400 kWh/yr. At 10 cents per kWh, you are paying $740/yr to run that thing.

A 2 speed, 1 hp (max) pump will run about 1700 Watts on high and about 400 Watts on low. Run it 24/7 on 400 and you will use 3500 kWh/yr or less than 1/2. If you run it 16 hours per day on low, you will save enough money to pay for it in less than one year.

These single speed pool pumps are insidious. Worse than Trichlor. And that is saying something!

For too many years, I ran a single speed 2 HP pump for 7 hours per day. It drew 2800 Watts, and my electric bill was really high. When my pump started leaking and bearings squealing 5 years ago I got a new 2 HP motor and rebuilt the pump for about 500 bucks. How stupid was that? This was before I became a TFP person and saw the error of my ways. A year after that, I got an Intelliflow 3 HP plus an Easytouch 8 and now run my pump 7 hours per day at only 1500 RPM (290 Watts). Without specific numbers, I can tell you the VS pump made a huge difference in my electric bill. Also, it runs so quite at 1500 RPM, I cannot hear it unless I go right up to my pool pad. Another bonus is that is does not ram debris through my filter at 3450 RPM and destroy the filter grids as my old motor did. Just my opinion.

Gary

Reactions: JamesW
So, I bought 2 new sets of pump unions, 1.5” threaded x 2” slip. But neither of the sets work on the 2” side. I thought I could either plumb directly to the 2” pipe or add a coupler and connect to the existing 2”. Neither set of 2” slip fittings fit into the female side if any pipe, joint, or coupler. What in the world?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.