Is this ok?

ccogen

Jul 31, 2020
new jersey
First time Intex pool owner it’s a intex ultra 18 x 9x 52 we had the ground dug up and leveled and filled with sand then leveled the sand.

We used concrete 12x12 pavers and buried them level with the sand and started filling . everything seemed ok till the pavers started tilting up and breaking. Not all the pavers but some ( see photo)

What do I do now? Empty and get larger thicker pavers or will the pool be ok?

We didn’t fill all the way bc I got nervous

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: charliej
It’s not OK in the sense that you need to drain the pool and replace the pavers before you try to refill it. But it is OK in the sense that as long as you drain now and fix it you shouldn’t have damaged anything.

The rectangular pool legs need to either be on ground contact rated pressure treated wood or 4” thick concrete blocks. Pavers are just not thick enough or strong enough and will crack, as you discovered.

How deep is that sand? Hopefully a thin layer with solid ground or crushers underneath?

It’s not OK in the sense that you need to drain the pool and replace the pavers before you try to refill it. But it is OK in the sense that as long as you drain now and fix it you shouldn’t have damaged anything.

The rectangular pool legs need to either be on ground contact rated pressure treated wood or 4” thick concrete blocks. Pavers are just not thick enough or strong enough and will crack, as you discovered.
ok thank you for that! wish I knew this before I filled. How long do you think it will take to drain? Also are 4 inch thick concrete blocks sold at home depot? And then i guess dig out the sand 4 inches and bury them?

So if you use 4” blocks you can sink them to where they are level with the solid ground. That’s what I would do.

ok thank you for that! wish I knew this before I filled. How long do you think it will take to drain? Also are 4 inch thick concrete blocks sold at home depot? And then i guess dig out the sand 4 inches and bury them?

Yes, but they are in the masonry section and not with the pavers. This is what you want:

You can get away with one per leg by putting them the long way, but doing so requires that you be very precise with the placement to make sure the leg winds up in the center of the block. Definitely don’t put a single the short way so that only the center of the leg is over the block. That will cause the legs to bend around the block and break.

The other option is to do two per leg so you wind up with a 16x16 square and then it’s more forgiving of the legs being a little off center, but obviously that’s a little extra cost and work for the additional blocks.

It shouldn’t take too long to drain... maybe a few hours. But you might want to put a piece of wood under the drain so the water rushing out doesn’t wash away your sand.

Yes, but they are in the masonry section and not with the pavers. This is what you want:

You can get away with one per leg by putting them the long way, but doing so requires that you be very precise with the placement to make sure the leg winds up in the center of the block. Definitely don’t put a single the short way so that only the center of the leg is over the block. That will cause the legs to bend around the block and break.

The other option is to do two per leg so you wind up with a 16x16 square and then it’s more forgiving of the legs being a little off center, but obviously that’s a little extra cost and work for the additional blocks.

It shouldn’t take too long to drain... maybe a few hours. But you might want to put a piece of wood under the drain so the water rushing out doesn’t wash away your sand.
ty so much ! this is the most helpful place i’ve asked! if i go the pressures treated wood route what should I buy ? I’m a single mom just trying to put this up for my boys ! I plan on booking up a garden hose and draining to the street so maybe it will take longer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ty so much ! this is the most helpful place i’ve asked! if i go the pressures treated wood route what should I buy ? I’m a single mom just trying to put this up for my boys ! I plan on booking up a garden hose and draining to the street so maybe it will take longer

Pieces of 2x8 are what I used for my pool. I liked the fact that they were much lighter than those heavy blocks. Something like this is what you would want. Make sure it says “ground contact”

However, apparently there is a nationwide shortage of pressure treated wood right now because of covid, so you might have a hard time finding some. My sister was trying to build a deck and ran into problems getting wood for it.

What I did was cut the 2x8 into 16” pieces and use two per leg to make a 16x16 square for each leg.

Draining through a garden hose will work, but it probably will increase the time it takes to drain.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Pieces of 2x8 are what I used for my pool. I liked the fact that they were much lighter than those heavy blocks. Something like this is what you would want. Make sure it says “ground contact”

However, apparently there is a nationwide shortage of pressure treated wood right now because of covid, so you might have a hard time finding some. My sister was trying to build a deck and ran into problems getting wood for it.

What I did was cut the 2x8 into 16” pieces and use two per leg to make a 16x16 square for each leg.

Draining through a garden hose will work, but it probably will increase the time it takes to drain.

what will happen if I don’t drain and refill amd I just keep it. The pavers seem to be holding the weight . Just asking

what will happen if I don’t drain and refill amd I just keep it. The pavers seem to be holding the weight . Just asking

I suspect that over time more pavers will break and the ones that have broken will allow the legs to sink further and further into the ground. At some point this will start to bend and damage the metal structure. If the problem got bad enough at some point the pool could wind up collapsing and injure anyone in or near it, not to mention flooding your yard.

ok yeah we are draining today and looking for the wood . Is there any chance you can send me a pic of your legs with the wood underneath so I can get a visual of what it looks like ? Also even though it says don’t set up on sand it seems like most people I’ve watched on you tube actually do set up on sand. Do you feel sand is a problem?

ok yeah we are draining today and looking for the wood . Is there any chance you can send me a pic of your legs with the wood underneath so I can get a visual of what it looks like ? Also even though it says don’t set up on sand it seems like most people I’ve watched on you tube actually do set up on sand. Do you feel sand is a problem?

Here’s a picture from when I installed my pool:

5FF41534-40E1-4B90-9202-C5575EFEFFF6.jpeg

A thin layer of sand should be ok. 3-4 inches of sand probably isn’t ideal because it can be loose and the weight of the pool will compress it. That’s why it’s generally recommended to dig the high side down, rather than building up the low side when you’re leveling the ground for a pool. But if it’s a uniform amount of sand then it should all compress evenly and you should be ok.

Reactions: Teald024
Intex states specifically in the instructions not to set up the pool on sand. Water is very heavy and sand will not compress and hold, it will just squeeze out and will wash away in a heavy rain. You can use a thin layer of sand under the pool for padding the floor, but you cannot use it to level the ground. The box you built to hold the sand is good, but you need to take the sand out and fill it with crusher or decomposed granite and level it. Install the wood foundation blocks like Bret described, only make sure they are recessed level with the ground.

OK you are correct absolutely no one has this wood in stock. Back ordered 4-6 weeks. Can I use no pressure treated wood or just go for the concrete 4 inch think mason bricks at this point and next year use the wood

I would use the concrete. Non pressure treated wood rots in about 10 minutes in my neck of the woods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.