Is this ok for fill water?

TampaKathy

Gold Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Tampa, FL
One of these days hopefully soon I will be getting plaster and then can finally fill the pool. I got my TF-100 test kit and tested the water that will be used to fill. I had to use the "fading endpoint" instructions for CH. My question related to that is, Do I need to figure out what metals are in the water before it is used for the plaster and fill? Do I need to say anything to the plaster people? I'm an Accountant...chemistry is way out of my league. :) These are my results....anything I need to do or have ready? Of course the builder is supposed to do start up but I want to be prepared when it is turned over to me. Should I test anything else?

PH: 7.5
TA: 170
CH: 225

Will you be filling from your well, or will you have water trucked in? We know wells typically have an elevated iron content, so avoiding that on first fill would be ideal. If that's not possible, you can plan on the builder using a good amount of sequestrant on first fill to keep the iron from later trying to stain the pool when chlorine is added. Copper should not be an issue since it's usually introduced by pool store algaecides and other unneeded products. Those are really the only two metals that should be of concern. But it would be a good idea to speak to the builder abut your well and concerns for iron staining.

Will you be filling from your well, or will you have water trucked in? We know wells typically have an elevated iron content, so avoiding that on first fill would be ideal. If that's not possible, you can plan on the builder using a good amount of sequestrant on first fill to keep the iron from later trying to stain the pool when chlorine is added. Copper should not be an issue since it's usually introduced by pool store algaecides and other unneeded products. Those are really the only two metals that should be of concern. But it would be a good idea to speak to the builder abut your well and concerns for iron staining.
I was planning on filling from the well. Ok, I will ask the PB!

Haven't talked to the PB yet but I tested my water and it has .3ppm of iron. I also asked my neighbors that filled by well about it and they all say they haven't had any problems with the iron so that is good. I didn't bother asking about their sequestrant use b/c none of them take care of the pool themselves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.