Is this good

DeathB4Me

Member
Jun 22, 2010
23
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm a new pool owner and i kind of been frustrated :hammer:about the chemistry. i was talking to my nighbor about it and he told me that he only worries about the FC and PH, and he also told me that the previous home owner did the same and never had any problems with the pool.

Is it good to just worry about that? If it is this would take care of my frustration. :party:
 

Miranda

Well-known member
Jan 20, 2008
161
Northeast Florida
PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
 

1jjtroutbum

Member
May 26, 2010
10
Miranda said:
PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
CC is also important as it tells you when the shock is needed.
 

Miranda

Well-known member
Jan 20, 2008
161
Northeast Florida
1jjtroutbum said:
Miranda said:
PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
CC is also important as it tells you when the shock is needed.
Good point..but correct me if I am wrong.....if you maintain adequate FC levels, your CC should stay close to zero and you really shouldn't need to shock at all.
 

1jjtroutbum

Member
May 26, 2010
10
Miranda said:
1jjtroutbum said:
Miranda said:
PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
CC is also important as it tells you when the shock is needed.
Good point..but correct me if I am wrong.....if you maintain adequate FC levels, your CC should stay close to zero and you really shouldn't need to shock at all.
Should have stated that I agreed with you but that CC is also important.

:wink: The 5yo niece and 2yo nephew were over yesterday guess who needed to shock the pool today?
 

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
2,598
You still want to know TA, as controlling that will help control pH.

Most of us want to know CH, as that out of range can affect the pool surfaces.