Is this chlorine use interpretation correct?

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Based on what I've read on this site, I wanted to see if this is correct........... Let's say 1 person gets in a hot tub with 2 PPM free chlorine. The person soaks for 1 hour and creates the average of approximately 7 PPM of free chlorine need. The person gets out and adds enough liquid chlorine to raise the FC 8 PPM. Is it correct to assume that the free chlorine would very quickly reduce to 3 PPM because the tub was already -5 ppm FC due to 7 PPM of use and starting with only 2 PPM (I know you can't actually have negative FC)?

For ease of discussion, yes. Like you said, you can't have negative chlorine. What you will have is sweat, body oils, fluids, exfoliated skin, half a margarita, and a few drops of BWW hot wing sauce. All that stuff will eat up the aforementioned FC that you added over target. And quickly.

When its convenient, check 30 minutes after getting out / raising the FC to verify you have enough left over to last a day or two.

*edit..... I thought of some more. Laundry detergent, fabric softener, shampoo and conditioner. Yeah. Even fresh out of the shower with a suit straight from the washer...... you'll be adding a TON of scuz to the tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.