Is this Calcium?

Sandi DC

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Dec 16, 2019
South TX
Our pool was completed last October and I didn't start the TFP methods until this spring but believe I do a fairly good job of keeping my CSI in line. Prior to that we were using chemicals which y'all told me was likely the cause of my high CH (was over 600 in the spring) I test water daily and am particularly aware that my PH is constantly rising. Whenever my CSI would get anywhere near .3, I am quick to add MA right away. For probably a month, I have noticed a faint white line at the water line that disappears when wet. Today I decided to tackle the issue and mixed 16oz water with 1oz MA in a spray bottle and sprayed the entire white line and followed up by wiping the surface with a white rag. the white line got thicker and wider toward the top of pool once dry. Am I treating the wrong condition or any thoughts on what is going on? Over the course of the last week, I read that keeping my TA around 50 could help the PH rise and that seems to be helping. I am now trying to keep the CSI more so in the negative range, instead of low positive if possible. The picture shows that our water level is low and I am filling it now. Is it possible that keeping my CSI slightly negative may correct the situation?

FC 5.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 50
CYA 50
CH 430
CSI -.12

Attachments

• calcium on pool tile.jpg
    calcium on pool tile.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 35
Your water numbers look much better now. No question. But it's interesting that the white along the waterline seemed to get thicker and wider after treating with MA. Let's tap the assistance of @JoyfulNoise for his opinion.

Reactions: Sandi DC
Son of a gun, it looks like you and I have the exact same pool. Well the deck and coping at least. Like they say, great minds..... :)

FWIW, my CSI is in the positive, not high positive, but I haven't noticed a line like that on our tile and our tile is blue in color so it would be quite clear if we were having calcium issues. For reference, our pool was finished November 2018.

Reactions: Sandi DC
Son of a gun, it looks like you and I have the exact same pool. Well the deck and coping at least. Like they say, great minds..... :)

FWIW, my CSI is in the positive, not high positive, but I haven't noticed a line like that on our tile and our tile is blue in color so it would be quite clear if we were having calcium issues. For reference, our pool was finished November 2018.
Your pool is beautiful! I am sure hoping I can get if figured out and it is fixable. So far, we have tried the MA (spray bottle 1 oz acid with 16oz water). Next we tried white vinegar. Prior to any chemicals, we tried a pumice stone (lightly) on just 1 tile. And we tried a scrubby type sponge. So far no luck. We filled the pool back up and it is t so noticeable but I do t want to ignore it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.