Is this acceptable? Opinions, Please

I believe the ET only offers freeze protection if you have a temp sensor connected up. I needed one for my solar system, which also works for the freeze protection. Mine is just under a roof eve, so it has good access to the ambient air temp, but is not in the sun (which fouls the reading, they need to be in the shade). I can't now remember if my temp sensor came with the solar system or the ET. I actually have three, one for air, one for pool water and one for the roof, for my solar heater. Having the sensors is nice. I get pool temp and backyard air temp on my ScreenLogic app, so I know what to expect on my way home from somewhere.

If they're not included with the ET, be sure to ask the PB about two for your setup: water and air. The water sensor will get installed in one of your pipes. Be sure they don't mount the air temp sensor near the ET, in the sun. That's what my installer did and it didn't work right until I moved it up under the eve.

The IntelliFlo also has its own independent freeze protection. So between the ET and the pump, I have a dual layer of freeze protection.

Reactions: ald2002
ald,

No pool builder that has a clue what they are doing would ever sell you a SuperFlo VS if you are getting automation.. All Pentair automation systems only control the IntelliFlo style pumps.

If you are getting an EasyTouch or IntelliCenter you must get the 3 HP IntelliFlo.. Just make absolutely sure that you do not get the IntelliFlo with the SVRS option..

You also do not want to get the EasyTouch lite.. It will have a model number like PL4 or PSL4.. The "L" is for light.

Also make sure you get an EasyTouch that comes with the salt cell.. This is because you want an EasyTouch with an internal SWCG power supply and NOT an external power supply.

The cell needs to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell.

The ET comes with two temp sensors..

Thanks

Jim R.

I believe the ET only offers freeze protection if you have a temp sensor connected up. I needed one for my solar system, which also works for the freeze protection. Mine is just under a roof eve, so it has good access to the ambient air temp, but is not in the sun (which fouls the reading, they need to be in the shade). I can't now remember if my temp sensor came with the solar system or the ET. I actually have three, one for air, one for pool water and one for the roof, for my solar heater. Having the sensors is nice. I get pool temp and backyard air temp on my ScreenLogic app, so I know what to expect on my way home from somewhere.

If they're not included with the ET, be sure to ask the PB about two for your setup: water and air. The water sensor will get installed in one of your pipes. Be sure they don't mount the air temp sensor near the ET, in the sun. That's what my installer did and it didn't work right until I moved it up under the eve.

The IntelliFlo also has its own independent freeze protection. So between the ET and the pump, I have a dual layer of freeze protection.
Thank you!

ald,

No pool builder that has a clue what they are doing would ever sell you a SuperFlo VS if you are getting automation.. All Pentair automation systems only control the IntelliFlo style pumps.

If you are getting an EasyTouch or IntelliCenter you must get the 3 HP IntelliFlo.. Just make absolutely sure that you do not get the IntelliFlo with the SVRS option..

You also do not want to get the EasyTouch lite.. It will have a model number like PL4 or PSL4.. The "L" is for light.

Also make sure you get an EasyTouch that comes with the salt cell.. This is because you want an EasyTouch with an internal SWCG power supply and NOT an external power supply.

The cell needs to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell.

Thanks

Jim R.
Thank you! I trusted the PB tp sell me the best equipment for my needs. I attached the equipment I am getting. Asked PB again tonight for quotes. The sales guy stated I only need the Superflo and not the Intelliflo.

Attachments

• 940CC406-6A77-4C76-8C6E-5E6658D4E965.jpeg
    940CC406-6A77-4C76-8C6E-5E6658D4E965.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
ald,

Thanks

Jim R.
Another question, please. What is the benefit of the SVRS option?

The sales guy stated I only need the Superflo and not the Intelliflo.

Sorry, but your sales guy is an idiot and has no idea how the automation system works.. The SuperFlo VS has no RS-485 port and cannot be controlled by the EasyTouch.

You really need the Part Numbers of the equipment you are getting.. Without the Part Numbers you have no idea what you are actually buying.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry, but your sales guy is an idiot and has no idea how the automation system works.. The SuperFlo VS has no RS-485 port and cannot be controlled by the EasyTouch.

You really need the Part Numbers of the equipment you are getting.. Without the Part Numbers you have no idea what you are actually buying.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do not disagree. I asked for a new sales person. I was told a cable is ordered (does not come with the pump) but allows control from Easy Touch. I asked for part numbers but telling not asking to upgrade to the right pump. My pool is small so they don’t think I need a larger pump. I now have a much better sense of what I need. I cannot thank you, Dirk and everyone else for your help. I am so grateful.

The cord they are mentioning will require a single relay in your ET to be assigned to a specific RPM of your pump. So the flexibility of your system is greatly compromised.

Get the Intelliflo. No if and or buts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cord they are mentioning will require a single relay in your ET to be assigned to a specific RPM of your pump. So the flexibility of your system is greatly compromised.

Get the Intelliflo. No if and or buts.
Thank you so very much! I don’t understand why they are hesitant to deliver what I ask. Tomorrow will be a tell not ask day. I wish I found this forum months ago.

Great. Do you notice the size of our pool? The size of pool and pump size is not really all that important with VS pumps.

I trusted the PB tp sell me the best equipment for my needs.
That's exactly how I ended up with my ET "Lite." The worst purchase I've made so far for my pool. Get Jim the model numbers so he can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you.

My pool is smaller than yours and I have the big IntelliFlo. No problem.

Your pool is larger than mine and I have the 3HP IntelliFlo.
Thanks for confirming. I have no idea why I am getting such push back on the equipment. As mentioned, tomorrow is a tell not ask day. Maybe the PB cannot get the Intelliflo due to production delays?

That's exactly how I ended up with my ET "Lite." The worst purchase I've made so far for my pool. Get Jim the model numbers so he can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you.

My pool is smaller than yours and I have the big IntelliFlo. No problem.
Will do and thanks. I am sure they sold me the most inexpensive ET. I asked for a quote on a Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTW gas heater. The price is close to 6k including install. *sigh*. Funny I didn’t get the quote in the Intellfo.

My pool guy sold me an ET that did not fit my needs (without ever discussing what those needs might be), and a pool light that was version one after v2 had already been released. He also purchased back the wireless component of my ScreenLogic because I went wired throughout. No doubt to resell it with a nice markup to someone else. I am fairly certain at least some of what he sold me was stuff he happened to have laying around, wanting to get it off his dusty shelf, rather than order new. You can draw your own conclusions from that what might motivate your PB to sell you a pump that doesn't go with your ET. Or, he could be genuinely trying to keep your total cost down as much as possible? Who knows.

The disservice I got, and what you seem to be getting, is the lack of a sit-down session to discuss the options, to let us decide what we want/need and how much we want to spend. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to do that, over risking a dissatisfied customer once we figure out we got sold the wrong thing. Weird.

My pool guy sold me an ET that did not fit my needs (without ever discussing what those needs might be), and a pool light that was version one after v2 had already been released. He also purchased back the wireless component of my ScreenLogic because I went wired throughout. No doubt to resell it with a nice markup to someone else. I am fairly certain at least some of what he sold me was stuff he happened to have laying around, wanting to get it off his dusty shelf, rather than order new. You can draw your own conclusions from that what might motivate your PB to sell you a pump that doesn't go with your ET. Or, he could be genuinely trying to keep your total cost down as much as possible? Who knows.

The disservice I got, and what you seem to be getting, is the lack of a sit-down session to discuss the options, to let us decide what we want/need and how much we want to spend. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to do that, over risking a dissatisfied customer once we figure out we got sold the wrong thing. Weird.
For some sales people, not all, (I do not want to generalize since there are wonderful people in the biz) spending too much time with a client mitigates the risk of losing another. This holds true now due to COVID. The PBs are flooded with interest and the sales team want to sell. They may also be short-staffed. Are you going to upgrade your ET?

ALD,

I'm sure they will say the 3 HP IntelliFlo is overkill.. and this would true if it were a single speed pump.. But it is a VS pump.. A VS pump really should be called a variable horsepower pump..

You just use the amount of HP you need.. I run mine 24/7 at a low RPM, (1200) for less than $20 bucks a month..

I would demand an IntelliFlo.. It will be more money upfront, but you will make it back over time.. Having the right "tool" is the key to any job and the IntelliFlo is the right tool when you have an EasyTouch..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.