Is this a supply side leak?

etherlore

Jan 30, 2022
Los Angeles
I have been seeing bubbles in my returns in the pool. It's not always a lot, but enough that I am concerned. There are also bubbles coming into the pump basket from the supply side, again not much but enough to be concerned. Please see this video:

and this for bubbles in the pool

This happens even if there is no air in the filter when bleeding, though we have had issues with air in there as well.

Are bubbles in the pump supply like this indicative of a leak on the supply side? I tried trouble-shooting the pipes on that side with soap bubbles and drenching in water, but did not find anything. I also tried blocking the skimmer so that all water gets pulled from the main drains, and that did not help either. Also interestingly enough this does not seem to happen in spa mode, which to me indicates it's a supply side problem on the pool side.

Any advice is appreciated. This is a new build, and our builder said this was normal and to clean the filter and impeller.

The few tiny bubbles in the pump and what I see from the return jets seem like different issues to me. The pump's occasional bubble is fine and could be just about anything. Probably not worth chasing. The return jet is different. Do you have a salt generator? You'll see bubbles when the SWG is on.

The more I watch that 2nd clip at the return jet, I'm more concerned. That's a lot more air than the typical champagne bubbles with see with a salt generator. The fact you note it doesn't do it in spa mode is also a flag. You might help us by posting a pic or two of your equipment pad. It might help to see all the valves and such. Depending on the age of your system, a 3-way valve before the pump can also contribute to letting air in the system. Above ground air leak tests can be difficult at best, so you might have to open such 3-ways and inspect the seal and gate opening. Just a thought.

So let's see if the bubbles disappear from the return jets when the SWG is not cycling on. Your equipment looks brand-spanking new, so I would hate to think there's anything going on there. Curious .... do you know if anyone ever applied pool silicone lube to the O-ring under the pump's clear lid?

So let's see if the bubbles disappear from the return jets when the SWG is not cycling on. Your equipment looks brand-spanking new, so I would hate to think there's anything going on there. Curious .... do you know if anyone ever applied pool silicone lube to the O-ring under the pump's clear lid?
Yes looks like a lot less bubbles in the returns without the generator running. I’ll keep an eye on that and see.

Not sure if there was silicone applied to the pump lid. I’m not sure how hard you are supposed to have to twist to get it to line up with the marks for sealing, but I have to pull pretty Dang hard.

Not sure if there was silicone applied to the pump lid. I’m not sure how hard you are supposed to have to twist to get it to line up with the marks for sealing, but I have to pull pretty Dang hard.
As you observed, the pump lid isn't lined up right. With a generous coating of silicone pool lube on the O-ring, the lid should turn much more easily by hand. It may be tight now because it's brand new, but I'd try lubing it (after turning off everything, of course). When my pump was newer, it needed a gentle tap with a rubber mallet to get the lid to align, but now it doesn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.