Is this a stain or bleached surface?

NickinTX

Feb 22, 2020
Austin, TX
Hello. Last year I hired a pool company to prime a tricky waterslide pump system, and they took the liberty of adding chemicals to my pool. Ever since that time (at least from what I can remember), I have noticed white colored blotches on the pool floor. The floor is coated with small pebbles, and you can see large white blotchy areas all over the pool floor (really bad in the deep end, but the whole pool has white areas). If you look a the pictures, you can see where the in-floor cleaning system has created star shapes from the flow pattern. In the star patterns, there are dark areas (original blue floor color) and the white/blotchy ares. How can I identify the white stuff? I'm guessing these areas are either coated with a calcium-type deposit...or could the white areas be bleached? I'm guessing it is the former, but any help is appreciated. I've tried to scrub some of the white areas with a steel brush, and while it seems impossible to remove, I believe hard brushing will remove slight traces of the white stuff. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200408_125355_resized.jpg
    20200408_125355_resized.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200408_124052_resized.jpg
    20200408_124052_resized.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like scale. Usually you identify scale by the roughness, like sandpaper. But with your pebbles you may not be able to tell.

What is your water chemistry?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT
WATER TEMP
CSI

I drained the spa into the negative edge catch pool, and I sprayed some acid/water onto the pebbles. Everything immediately started to foam and the calcium layer was gone after a quick wash with the hose :) See the attached photo. The right side of the picture was treated, while the left wasn't touched. The spa is easy, but now I need to figure out a way to clean the main pool without having to drain it. I ordered some Bio-Dex Protect-All today, as the reviews were fairly positive for cleaning the floor. Has anyone heard of or used this product? Best...Nick

Attachments

• Acid wash results in spa.jpg
    Acid wash results in spa.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.