Is this a light or sensor of some kind?

RamenLover

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2020
Chino Hills
Hi all! This it in the shallow end of my pool. Anyone know what it is? I have a pool light in the middle of the pool but it doesn’t light the shallow end. I wonder if this is some kind of light? Or maybe a thermometer of some kind? It’s about an inch and half to 2 inches in diameter.

thank you!
8AF844D4-347B-48C2-8EB8-B9101F232472.jpeg

That is a light. A nicheless LED light. How many wires come into the j-box for the lights?

Marty! Thank you for leading me in the right direction. The house is fairly new to us I started exploring the area around the pool and found something hidden behind a large bush. I remove the bush and found this:

IMG_3148.jpeg
IMG_3150.jpeg
IMG_3147.jpeg

IMG_3146.jpeg

Pretty nifty. Looks like they had installed a really cool fiber optic gizmo long ago. I looked closely at the niche less light from underwater and it looks like the end of a fiber optic cable.

Unfortunately, looks like someone sliced the cable. :( I wonder if it's salvageable or whether they even make these lights still.

At the very least, I now have electrical by the pool where I can connect extension cords and run up lights! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Reactions: mknauss
Yes, that is a fiber-optics light system that is in very bad condition. Just the bulb for that model is usually over $100.00 if you can find one that fits. The rest appears to be in such bad condition that it can't be reasonably repaired. If your existing cable has been cut short, new cable is available but very expensive as you usually have to buy an entire roll.

There are now LED replacement light systems for that very condition. Somewhat expensive. Some will fit that lens if there is enough room behind it. Would also need a transformer in place of the fiber-optic tower or a light driver depending on what system you get.

If that is a 1.5" connection at the light, as poolman says, you could put in a nicheless LED light. Florida Sunseeker has some quality lights you might check on .

Thank you guys. I looked at the replacement led lights for that type of niche. Installation looks like it’ll be some work but it might be worth doing at some point.

It’s too bad no one makes a large, rechargeable pool light.

In a different note, for fun I took the cut off end the fiber optic cable and put a flashlight against it, and the nicheless side in the pool lit up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.