Is this a good plan?

carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
Since the finish of my pool build in November, Ive kept all my numbers within the rails pretty much, per all the good advice here. My CYA has been between 30 and 40 consistently, and my FC has been above 5. We've had a lot of cloudy weather, cool, just typical winter weather. Now we're getting into a run of nearly 80 degrees, sunny, and the days are getting longer (thank goodness!!). Now Im considering bumping my CYA level up to 50. Does this make sense? Or should I plan on something different.

Kathy,

Sounds like a good plan to me. As long as you keep your FC and CYA per this chart it should work just fine.. FC/CYA Levels

As the summer gets here, you will notice that to maintain the FC that your pool needs, you will have to increase the cell's output and/or bring the CYA up to 70 or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Ill start monitoring a little more closely. The past month its been pretty dreary and cool, and Ive been slacking in testing, but we are getting into a really nice spell, so Ill start checking my FC every day to see how much Im using. Did a total run yesterday and all numbers are good.

Kathy,

Checking your chemicals everyday is like looking at a something with a microscope.. I suggest that you back up a little and take in the big picture.. :mrgreen:

Pools have little chemicals changes each day and it is almost impossible to try to adjust them out..

A good analogy is driving a car... If you grip the steering wheel too tightly and constantly make changes to the car's direction, it makes driving a real pain. On the other hand, relaxing and just keeping your car between the lines makes driving fun..

The main concern is keeping your FC above the minimum.. There is no real downside to having the FC be a little high..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am in a similar situation to yours. This time of year a little lax on the testing. So before I raise my CYA which I should probably do in the next couple of weeks, I do a short SLAM just to make sure I am in good shape, something between 24-48 hours. At least do OCLT to make sure nothing is growing in there. Its just easier to take care of anything now before you add the CYA.

Reactions: carnivalday
Jim, I was thinking I should check my FC number each day for a couple of days right now so I could see how much FC Im losing a day. I have my SWG set very low because I havent been losing but maybe .5 ppms per day of FC. I dont want that FC loss number to sneak up on me since we're getting into sunny hotter days. My other numbers, TC, CH, TA, Salt, CYA have been holding really steady, only have had to adjust pH as it is still rising (from new poolness maybe?).

How often would you recommend I test my FC levels, since we're sliding into warmer weather?

Kathy,

Testing everyday for a few days so that you get a feel for your pool is a good idea.. I was just trying to say that I would only make changes based on several days of data and not react to the small daily changes that can happen when it is cloudy one day, and then very sunny the next.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: carnivalday
Kathy,

Out of curiosity how long have you been running your pump and what has been your SWG setting recently?

As mentioned in your earlier thread, I'm a big advocate of CYA 40-50 year-round on a caged Florida pool. Unless your demand is high, and I suspect it isn't, I wouldn't go any higher than that. I know this contradicts some teachings here but having the pool screened is a special exception in my book. This is the time of the year your chlorine demand will start increasing. Mine doubles within another 4-6 weeks from now and I suspect yours will also. I've found that late February is the time you need close monitoring because chlorine demand is changing so rapidly then. I hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks guys. It was the recommendation to 50 CYA that Im basing my numbers on. Doug, for the past few weeks, the pump has been running at 1600 rpms for 8 hours; the SWG has been set at 20%. Its been holding the FC at between 5 and 8; yesterday when I tested it was 5.5. Im not wanting to get any lower than that. CYA has been at 30-ish for the past several weeks, with really dreary weather. I bumped CYA up to 50 today, and was going to use that as my base number to work off of. The CYA chart has the optimum CYA higher for SWG, but as Doug had mentioned earlier, a cage situation is different, and I decided that was the prudent number to work off of.

Today was a glorious sunny day, and I suspect those will be more commonplace, so I will test FC usage, as I figure I will probably have to bump up the SWG or run the pump longer. Dont want that FC number slipping.

Thanks!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.