Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Some of the sealant between my travertine tile deck and the backside of the pool coping was missing or coming loose so I was in the process of digging it out when I found a few loose coping tiles. They were loose enough for me to lift them out of place and see that the metal brace for the scupper tile has badly corroded. Do I need to call a pro or is this within the DIY arena for someone with some fix it skills? Any idea what to do about that metal brace?

I’m thinking I chip off or grind off the old grout and mortar, let it dry out well and then attach the brace and tiles in some sort of mortar/adhesive? Grout, then seal? Is it a lot more complicated than that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Just cleanup the metal brace and coat it with rust neutralizer.

Use type S mortar to reattach the stone. With the small area on both sides of the stone it will probably come loose again. That area is a poor design.

Just cleanup the metal brace and coat it with rust neutralizer.

Use type S mortar to reattach the stone. With the small area on both sides of the stone it will probably come loose again. That area is a poor design.
Thank you! Agreed. It is a poor design and is repeated on the other pool wall at the second skimmer. Wire brushed & scraped the flaking rust off of the metal brace and sprayed it well with rust neutralizer. Cleaned off the rust residue off of the pool tiles. Type S mortar to set the stone and now I’m waiting for it to set before adding grout. I will also be using a self-leveling sealant (Sika) for the gap between the deck tiles and the coping. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 1D821062-060E-4EEF-90C9-7F1BE83D0304.jpeg
    1D821062-060E-4EEF-90C9-7F1BE83D0304.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 12
  • 66AE2EBC-B70D-479A-A33D-2377350F4CED.jpeg
    66AE2EBC-B70D-479A-A33D-2377350F4CED.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.