Is this a 2 speed pump

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I need a 2 speed pump for a swg I will be buying. My friend gave me this pump and swears it’s 2 speed but when I look it up I think it says single? He says it automatically switches from low (when the swg is on) to high (when the vacuum is on). I’ve never heard of that. I think it’s single speed? See pics with model

Attachments

• 96197ABA-88D1-4B6B-875C-3C51A92E0DB4.jpeg
    96197ABA-88D1-4B6B-875C-3C51A92E0DB4.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2D92DD0C-5705-418A-BF46-94BAEF4C3020.jpeg
    2D92DD0C-5705-418A-BF46-94BAEF4C3020.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 12
No, this is a SS motor for a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix above ground pool setup with an ON/OFF switch.

Look at the diagram on the motor data plate. The ON/OFF switches between the blue and yellow wires.

A 2 speed pump would show high speed/low speed amps on the data plate.

DFD9DACD-41BC-43AC-BE7A-E966E5FC36CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Trying to get some insight here. I have a 5000 gallon AGP and want a pump that uses very little energy since I live in New york our rates are insane. Am I better off getting a 2 speed pump and running my SWG on low? Or buying a variable speed pump. It seems 2 speeds are around 300 or so and variable like 500. Would I save more with one over the other? Thanks, looking to replace my single speed 1 HP pentair pump but I'm a little confused

Rich,

A 2-speed pump, running on low, will save you about 75% of what it cost to run a single speed pump.

A VS will save a little more, but it will take a lot longer to pay back the initial costs.

A 2-speed pump is much eaieser to connect to a SWCG. VS pumps get constant AC power, so it is harder to wire in a SWCG. The SWCG needs to be wired so that it can never runs when the pump is not running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So my current pump is 1HP and 3450 RPM. I can only find this pump online for 2 speed and at low it says 1750 RPM. Is this a decent enough pump & price or does someone else have any recommendations. I guess this uses half the energy? But I didn't see anything about the AMPS being used. My old pump says 110 V and 12 amps so it's running 1,380 watts every time it's on. I couldn't find the watts info on this pump. By the way do they make any pumps that use even less energy on 2 speeds or is this about the minimum. Thank you very much

Half the speed uses about quarter of the energy.

My guess is the pump pulls about 3-4 amps at 1750 rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.