Is there such thing as a "little" algae? :)

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Successfully kept my pool algae-free for most of the summer (phew) but I have to say, the balance between keeping the chlorine at just a couple of points vs. letting it go to zero accidentally is a razor's edge. I thought I had fixed my salt cell, and now it's giving me more problems (argh). Turned my back for a day or two, and here we go...

Checked the pool today and it looks like it's got just the tiniest bit of algae in it. It's orange-ish algae, which is the same kind I always get when I turn my back. I measured the FC and it was 0, but it couldn't have been at 0 for more than a day or two at the most. I brushed it immediately and poured a gallon of liquid chlorine in (this normally raises FC by 7 in my pool).

So, another beginner question. Is this just a "little" algae outbreak and am I safe if I keep my chlorine slightly elevated and brush regularly? Or do I need to follow the whole SLAM recipe? I hate to do that at the peak of summer when my kids want to go in and swim every day.

PH = 7.8 (about to lower it with some muriatic right now)
TA = 90
CYA = 50

Successfully kept my pool algae-free for most of the summer (phew) but I have to say, the balance between keeping the chlorine at just a couple of points vs. letting it go to zero accidentally is a razor's edge. I thought I had fixed my salt cell, and now it's giving me more problems (argh). Turned my back for a day or two, and here we go...

Checked the pool today and it looks like it's got just the tiniest bit of algae in it. Measured the FC and it was 0, but it couldn't have been at 0 for more than a day or two at the most. I brushed it immediately and poured a gallon of liquid chlorine in (this normally raises FC by 7 in my pool).

So, another beginner question. Is this just a "little" algae outbreak and am I safe if I keep my chlorine slightly elevated and brush regularly? Or do I need to follow the whole SLAM recipe? I hate to do that at the peak of summer when my kids want to go in and swim every day.

PH = 7.8 (about to lower it with some muriatic right now)
TA = 90
CYA = 50
you can check FC overnight loss and see for yourself. Please keep SWG off and pump on during the test.

Thanks.

Bummer. Measured it late last night (5.5), then this morning (3), and that's a pretty sure sign it's in need of a SLAM. Commencing SLAM now.

BTW SWG is mostly intended to relief you from lugging chlorine jugs around, not water testing. I'd keep an eye on it at all times- seasonal / temperature changes surely require adjustments. Glad you caught it early, should be a short SLAM.

Thanks. I'm hoping so. I bumped the chlorine up to about 24 just now (CYA is 50), already brushed the pool once today, will brush it again later, so might even try the OCLT as soon as late tonight, to see if I can pass it. If not, tomorrow.

Plus I'm overdue for a filter cleaning anyway, so will clean the filter either today or tomorrow too.

Shouldn't your CYA be up around 80 with a SWCG ?? 50 is easier to SLAM at but after you get done are you going to raise it ??

Shouldn't your CYA be up around 80 with a SWCG ?? 50 is easier to SLAM at but after you get done are you going to raise it ??

Yes, will do. I just noticed it being low since I don't regularly check CYA.

Thanks for the tip on it being swimmable during a SLAM. I was hesitant just because I didn't want kids to get red eyes and so on, but good to know it's safe.

I'm going out to brush it right now (evening) and will do my OCLT tonight too to see if I could have nipped it in the bud that quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.