Is there any way to determine (with a trash pump) how many gallons have been pumped out while draining?

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Yikes, your post showed up to me after I wrote my last one. Sounds like Baquacil is expensive and maintenance intensive. I use chlorine, acid, CYA and salt. That's it. I'd be surprised if I spend more than $100 a year. And with my SWG and acid injector, I spend about 5 minutes a week on my pool (pretty much just testing to make sure my gizmos are working). That's it.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
I'm considering doing at least a partial drain. The water company I use charges for a minimum delivery of 5k gallons (so I assume I pay for that whether I wind up using it all or not). He can bring 6k to 6500 gallons per tanker. I don't want to wind up having to put in a few hundred gallons (or more) from my well if I'd drain out more than he has with him. So how does one begin to figure out the gallonage pumped out? I can rent a trash pump locally, but - short of eyeballing the level as it goes down - I imagine the pump doesn't have any sort of feature whereby it calculates the rate / gallons pumped out? If so, that'd make things easy. My pool walls taper in all the way around (compared to a square or rectangular shape where the walls are straight all the way down). So that makes it a bit harder to 'guesstimate' the amount pumped out. There must be, proportionately, more water at the top 2-3 feet (where the walls are still basically straight) compared to when everything tapers in (significantly) leading to the drain. Before I'd do this, I need to have a handle on how much to pump out given the 5k minimum delivery and the total 6k to 6500 load. 6 years ago things were easy cause I had the entire pool drained prior to renovation. I really didn't want to drain all of it this time nor have them bring two tankers though I guess that's a possibility. Any advice?
Here is a link to Amazon with a bunch of gallonage counters - probably garden hose size, but it's a start. Also, ask the pump company you plan to rent the trash pump from. They may acutally have one as an option.

SacDave

Jun 8, 2015
Rocklin Ca
there a lot of factors that come into play size of discharge hose, is there any head pressure, how long is the discharge hose, evry bend causes friction. I used a trash pump to drain mine down about two thirds used an 1 1/4" discharge pipe I just watched it didn't take very long 20K pool. I could ask my neighbor he drains his every year and cleans it with a pressure washer :eek: I guess that's saves money on all those chemicals and running the pump

Chrissykr

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I don’t have anything to add to your current situation but man I have seen a lot of your posts. Do the conversion and be done with it. You’ll never look back. Seriously, I have my SWG set, run my robot a couple of times a week, brush and backwash once a week and that’s it. Even when I was using liquid it only took a few minutes each day. This truly is trouble free pool care. This is all TFP sparkle😁 after four days of straight rain. It doesn’t get any better than this❤

Attachments

Last edited:

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
As mentioned above, Filling a known volume container and timing it is by far the best way to go for this. Most rental company's have 2" electric pumps. You can use a 55 gal Trash can for a container. If you need to drain faster then just rent a second pump and double your gpm figure from the first