Is there a way to slow down the Polaris backup valve?

tjcooper

Jan 16, 2015
Sunnyvale CA
I have a Polaris 280 system with G52 backup valve. Recently the sweep gets locked in one end of pool and will never migrate to the other end. I observed that the backup value is only moving the sweep like 5 feet backwards during its cycle and then the sweep just goes forward again and gets locked up. I checked that I have roughly 30rpm on sweep wheels so I think I have the right pressure coming into system.

Is there a way to "slow down" the G52 so that it moves the sweep like 15 feet backward before the end of the cycle? I bought a new G52 and put it into system this weekend. Identical results. I am thinking of taking old G52 (which I have taken apart) and cut down 50% of its turbine fins. I think that would cause the gears to run more slowly which should cause the backup part of the value to run longer? Would this work?
tjcooper

tjcooper

Jan 16, 2015
Sunnyvale CA
ANSWER: using a 50% cutoff with a Dremel of the fins inside the G52, I was able to take the "backup time" from 6 seconds to more than 30 seconds. This is great to get the polaris to a new region of the pool to clean it.
tjcooper