Is there a difference between bleach and shock?

Jun 21, 2017
Attleboro, MA
I've been doing some research and it seems like they are both the same, it's just shock is a higher %.So my question is I get shock at $2.99 a gallon because I buy a case of 4 at a time. But I have been putting two gal of bleach every day until my Taylor k2006 tester comes in. My water is still cloudy. I also have powdered shock. Can I use that up? Put in 2 lbs a day? It reads that 1lb will treat 13,000 gal.

Same thing, just semantics generally at a different concentration as you note.

2 gals a day (~9ppm) might be a bit much but just a thought.

Liquid chlorine is much better than anything powered at this point not knowing your CYA or CH. Recommend maintain the bleach until that test kit shows up.

No powders are good for shocking. They all add something extra besides the chlorine. It might be calcium or it might be stabilizer, depending on the makeup. Best to stay with liquid bleach or liquid 'shock'. They are the same, just different concentrations of chlorine.

What is this "shock"? Is it dichlor, trichlor, Cal-hypo, Lithium Hypochlorite, or Monopersulfate?

If you don't know what you're adding and how it will affect the rest of the chemistry, you shouldn't add it. Do you need to raise CYA? Do you need to lower pH and TA? Do you need more CH? Do you want false readings on the FC & CC tests?

nick,

Yes, Liquid Shock, is the same as Liquid Chlorine, which is the same as Liquid bleach, just difference strengths.

I would not add any powdered products until after you get your test kit.

You really need to know what your CYA level is before adding any powdered "shocks" because most of them contain more CYA.

Once you get your test kit, and since your pool is cloudy, you will need to perform what we call a SLAM SLAM Process

This is a process... it is not magic and will not fix your problem overnight. Just follow the SLAM directions and you will soon have a crystal clear pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
Cya by my "test strips" it says I'm about 30ppm
pH is high but I haven't added any thing because it was advised not to add anything but 2 gal of bleach every day. Until my test kit comes in. It will be in the 29th. Is there anything I can do until then having family over for the 1st. Which I know doesn't give me much time especially since it doesn't work over night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.