Is testing salt water an ongoing process as the other tests?

OGSW20

Jun 11, 2019
San Jose, CA
I understand that we will need to constantly monitor the pool chemistry for FC, PH, TA, CH, CYA. Do we also need to monitor salt levels constantly or once the salt is in and at the right levels, we are done? Wondering if I should invest in a K-1766 or skip it once my PB has the right salt level in the pool?

Also, when should the salt be added to a new pool?

You are in San Jose.. I presume California.. If so.. the answer is you only need to test it when you are getting the salt level correct at the start of the season. you will likely not be draining the pool except in the winter due to the rains. During the summer any evaporation you have only removes water, it does not remove the salt, that stays in solution. I tend to use the salinity reading on my equipment and have only really used a salt test once a year to check it.

Are you running on your salt generator now?

Reactions: OGSW20
You are in San Jose.. I presume California.. If so.. the answer is you only need to test it when you are getting the salt level correct at the start of the season. you will likely not be draining the pool except in the winter due to the rains. During the summer any evaporation you have only removes water, it does not remove the salt, that stays in solution. I tend to use the salinity reading on my equipment and have only really used a salt test once a year to check it.

Are you running on your salt generator now?

Yes, in San Jose, CA. The SWG is not currently running. The PB only has the pumps running to cycle through the water since its a new build. I was told the salt will need to be added at a later time after the plaster cures and the equipment/water chemistry is all set.

We are a new build as well, but I went ahead and ordered the salt test as well as the TF-100 so I could take advantage of the free shipping. My understanding is that salt goes in at 30 days, after the plaster has cured. I figure I'll test the salt until I can get the SWG figured out, then back off.

SWCG salt levels are notoriously inaccurate.. While I don't use my Taylor K-1766 often, I do use it.. You need to be able to know what the "actual" salt level is vs. what the cell "thinks" it is...

If my cell suddenly says that my salt level is way low, or way high.. I want to know if I have a cell problem or a salt problem..

We have seen many times where the pool owner keeps adding salt trying to bring the levels up and ends up with 5000 ppm in their pool before realizing the SWCG was the problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

SWCG salt levels are notoriously inaccurate.. While I don't use my Taylor K-1766 often, I do use it.. You need to be able to know what the "actual" salt level is vs. what the cell "thinks" it is...

If my cell suddenly says that my salt level is way low, or way high.. I want to know if I have a cell problem or a salt problem..

We have seen many times where the pool owner keeps adding salt trying to bring the levels up and ends up with 5000 ppm in their pool before realizing the SWCG was the problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good to know Jim! Thanks!

We are a new build as well, but I went ahead and ordered the salt test as well as the TF-100 so I could take advantage of the free shipping. My understanding is that salt goes in at 30 days, after the plaster has cured. I figure I'll test the salt until I can get the SWG figured out, then back off.

Thanks for the confirmation about the 30 day mark

Thanks,

Jim R.
What Jim said.. and BTW that was how I determined it was time for a new cell.. When my salt readings went haywire, but the test was saying the salinity was fine. You guys with new cells won't experience it for hopefully 5 years or longer..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.