Is SLAM always required when opening?

You're correct, the TA will have enormous effect on the pH.

Her pH is within normal limits (WNL we write in the medical field). Her TA can be brought up with the Borax.

The FC, CYA and TA can almost all be done simultaneously... just about 15-20 minutes apart.

All is good!

The last two times I opened my FC was still pretty high (10/11) from closing. All I need to do is add a bit of stabilizer and a bag or two of salt and we are good to go again. I am always surprised how close to perfect the tests are when I open.

Thanks for all the replies! My results are:
FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 40
CA 75
CYA 0
I see a need for baking soda, CYA, and bleach.

The baking soda will raise the TA which prevents violent pH shifts in case you overshoot a little in the future. It will also raise pH a little bit, which isn't a bad idea, since the CYA will lower the pH a tiny bit. It is, after all, an acid. Target 60 on TA, 3 on FC since there's no CYA yet, and 30 on CYA, just in case you need to SLAM. If things work out well, it's easy enough to add more CYA in a day or two. The order is up to you. There's no wait on the CYA, and the others can be done 15 minutes apart.

Also, I didn’t see how to add the baking soda? Pool schools says add to deep end but I don’t have one.

I did the OCLT and couldn’t get a sample until pool had been in sun for about 2.5 hours. I think I calculated wrong last night because I left CYA at 0 on calculator so only dosed FC to 2. My numbers this morning were:
FC 1
CC 0
pH-7.0
TA-40

I have added baking soda to bring TA to 60, CYA to bring it to 30, and have tried to keep FC at 3. Do I need to add something for pH?

The baking soda will raise pH a bit. Test TA and pH later today or tomorrow.

If you are trying to do an OCLT. Raise your FC to at least 6-8 ppm this evening, circulate for 30 minutes, and test your FC. Then in the morning, before sun is on the pool, get your sample and test FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night I brought FC up to 6 and these were my results this morning:
FC-5.5
CC-maybe 0.5
pH-7.2
TA-70, maybe 80

Ok thank you, my 4yo will be thrilled! Do I need to add more CYA if it is at 30? I dosed it to 30ppm and planning to test tonight as it is almost dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.